Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying short ribs for the family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying short ribs for the family

I'm going to smoke short ribs today for the family. It's a bit of a challenge because my supermarket, Publix, has them cut from 2 inches thick all the way down to the bone with barely any meat on them. I'm going to use a medium piece of about 1¾ inches to do the temperature testing and take it to 203º. Check back tomorrow for photos and a report on how they came out. For the record, I'm using a Smokin'-It electric smoker loaded with mesquite.

Welcome bocaboy

Comment

A hearty welcome from northern Illinois.

Comment

best of luck to you. beef ribs are one of my favorite things to smoke.

my only advice is that around 190 you start poking the meat with a probe to see if they are tender. sometimes things get done faster than you think.

Comment

bocaboy check with the meat department manager at Publix. They sometimes have full plates in the back. And if you can give them a week's notice, they will order them for you.

Comment

+1 on edible hen's post. They are typically much cheaper buying them that way too. A bit of trimming the fat is needed, in my opinion, but I think some don't. Can also cut them into individual ribs, or couples, if you prefer.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here