Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No love from Costco.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No love from Costco.

I went to Costco yesterday to pick up a few things, (found some great looking filets). While there I asked someone if I could speak to the purchasing manager. The lady said she was the floor manager and could she help me. So I asked her about getting a prime whole brisket. She did not understand what I wanted compared to what they carry, but I finally got through to her. She tried to get the head butcher, but he had already left, so she went to talk to the manager. She comes back in a few minutes and sez no - they cannot get what I want even though I explained that they were available in Charlotte, and I gave her the correct ordering info. However she did say she would have the head butcher call me today, but he never called.

Soooo - still no way to get a prime packer here, but I will see if the head butcher is available next time I go to Costco...

Hang in there RonB ... trying to create change in a big operation like Costco is not easy even if you are an employee. Being a customer is different and your questions must be answered. I bet you will get what you're looking for if you stay involved. You will feel good getting Prime Brisket at $2.99.😜🍺

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, so will I!

Drive down, we'll buy your lunch 😎

Comment

I had a nearly identical experience trying to get plate beef ribs. Finally talking to the butcher, he told me that he is only able to special order meat that he is confident he can sell because they have to buy it in pretty big quantities (by the case) per store. For beef ribs he said that would be 70lbs, and they just can't get enough people to buy them before they go bad.

I am able to get prime packers, but only choice flats.

Comment

There is a lot of regional variability in what is offered in Costcos.

Mine never has packers, just flats. I've asked about that and was simply told there just isn't enough demand so they don't carry them. I know others that live in the New England area and some other parts of the country that have gotten the same response.

So I'd be ok with not getting packers if all the folks that live in cattle country and can always get Prime packers at their Costco for cheap would just quit telling us that!

Comment

Smaller butchers will usually order what you want, but you're not going to pay Costco prices. Probably close to just ordering from somewhere online. My local (Pa) supermarket sells "whole" brisket which is a three by six I've inch slice. I'm always told by friends "Costco sells actual full, whole brisket" "packers I ask?" but I only see flats. When your having trouble getting people to just understand what you want it's not looking good.

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            Michael Brinton - I have checked with the local butchers and I'm just not willing to pay close to SRF prices.

RonB You just need to make that short drive to Newport News.

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            clkq4 - I haven't given up on my location yet.

I got the same answer from the Meat crew at my Costco. Even though they said I'm not the first person to come looking for a whole packer brisket.

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Same with me. When I told our Costco butcher that the Leesburg Costco about 10 miles away had whole prime briskets he couldn't believe it.

I feel really fortunate here in the Mesa AZ area. Our Costco carries Prime Packer Brisket and Choice Flats...all in various weights and a huge variety of Prime Steaks including some whopping bone in Cowboy Rib eyes. And the prices are very good as well. I am doing the 3" almost 3 pound steak tonight for dinner.

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            I used to shop at that Costco location... years ago.👍

• Philo in AZ
            Philo in AZ commented
            Editing a comment
            Not at either of the two North Phoenix locations. I have yet to try the Scottsdale location.

I wish we had a Costco, but the closest we have to it is Sams. It's never even crossed my mind to look for prime beef at Sams... What I REALLY wish is that we had a real butcher. Tuscaloosa has grown a ton, metro is over 250k and we don't have a real butcher shop. Am I wrong to think 250k people could support 1 good butcher??

Comment

• Histrix
            Histrix commented
            Editing a comment
            For frozen-fresh vegetables or custom-cut meats, come to South's Finest Meats & Vegetables! We have several locations to serve you in west central Alabama.

• Skelly
            Skelly commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll have to go back there I guess. They can cut you a ribeye, but the last time I was there it was mostly frozen stuff and a few grocery store quality prepackaged items.

Edit: I usually go to MrPs in Birmingham when I'm in the area. Love them.

In the north east, Sams carries NO brisket at all. Costco and BJs carry choice "first cut" which seems to mean oddly shaped flats only. The grocery chains sell hacked up flats in 2lb packages. RD sells Choice and Angus packers but the prime is obscenely expensive.

I asked about packers at my local Sams and they looked at me like I was a raving lunatic.

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            That's sad... I'd consider moving to a more advanced retail community.🙈

Welcome to the Pit by the way...👍

• MrDibS
            MrDibS commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! We also have a local hipster butcher who gets hanging beef and will cut whatever you want for $12 a pound. Unfortunately his beef is all grass fed so great steaks but not so great barbecue cuts.

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            $12 per pound?... have him arrested for highway robbery now!!!

My Costco here in Tampa doesn't offer prime brisket or prime tri tips. My bro in Tucson can get both

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here