Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beer braised beef short ribs ~ so intoxicating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beer braised beef short ribs ~ so intoxicating

Let me start by apologizing for not getting more pictures of the whole process. My cooking process is somewhat unconventional.

What you will need ~ ingredients are estimates
    • Thick English cut beef short ribs (or oxtail)
    • Two medium sized onions, diced
    • A good size carrot, diced
    • A stock of celery, diced
    • A bottle of Xingu (Brazilian beer) or Guiness will work
    • Beef stock
    • Thyme and Bay leaf
    • Tomato paste
    • Whole garlic cloves, peeled and smashed. As much as you like
    Process
    Heat oven to 325

Season beef with salt. I skip the black pepper when I plan to sear meat for braising because black pepper burns and leaves a nasty taste.
    Heat a heat skillet or dutch oven, place a layer of oil, here I'm using homemade ghee. Brown the beef well and I mean really brown it.

Put that mess aside. By now you should have beautiful bits of goodness, fond, in the skillet. Dump the onion, celery and carrots in the skillet, season with salt and pepper. Once the aromatics start to brown add the tomato paste and cook that mess well. You want it to start sticking to the pan. Don't forget the garlic cloves
    Now add the beef back to the pan, get it mixed with the mess. Add the beer to the pan and add beef stock so that the liquid comes halfway up the meat. Add thyme and bay leaf

Bring that mess to a boil and place it in the oven. Do not cover the pan. I find that if you braise without the lid you actually get the meat extra maillard reation.

Braise that until fork tender. This greatly depends on meat quality. May take anywhere from 2 to 4 hours. You can flip the meat if you feel the need. I do not think flipping braised meat really matters because the braising liquid DOES NOT go into the meat.
    Once that's done, take the meat out and strain your sauce. I strain because all those aromatics are pretty much useless after they have released all the flavors into the sauce.
    Here you can put the meat back in the sauce and serve or refrigerate for later use. Actually tastes better the next day.
    Notice that I did not use any spices. I let the beef be beef, so get the best quality you can get.

Served over mushroom and kale risotto. Serve that to the wife and she'll be open.........to suggestions!!

Originally posted by Ernest View Post

Serve that to the wife and she'll be open.........to suggestions!!

Lol...good one!

Comment

Awesome, it looks great and braising rawks! I would prolly have to add some wine to that meal... suggestions would run rampant!

Comment

Nice. I would have to order some short ribs. The Select stuff we have here would need a 10-12 day braise.

Comment

As alway! You rock!

Comment

That's a good lookin meal Sir. Definitely beats the room service I have on the way here in Cleveland!

Comment

You don't pack your own food David?

Comment

one of my favorite foods. i do mine with red wine in lieu of beer. but thank you for sharing a recipe.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here