Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I crazy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RonB - For me some of it depends on the cut and the quality/grade of the meat. For example, I really dislike a super rare lower quality New York steak. Front steering, cooking then searing again is the only way I like that grade and cut. If I go up to Prime, the reverse sear method is fine but I still prefer to sear first. I find the texture much better with the depth of the cook.

For a filet, I like the reverse seer all the way. Again, it's a texture thing. I like it done more than my kids but I still get an even medium rare with very little if any banding doing the reverse method. To me there is something really pretty in the contrast of a red filet against a dark surface. To me, the taste, texture and juiciness are all better with a reverse sear on a filet.

With a Prime rib-eye it depends on the thickness. If I have cut it extra thick, I like the reverse seer method but if it is an inch or thinner I like to seer first. The rib-eye is one that I most often vacillate about, though. I may cook it one way today and the opposite tomorrow. I also may use the grate or flat side of the Grillgrates. I can go down a grade with a rib-eye and not have the difference in quality that I observe with a lower quality New York. I do find that I really like the edge fat cooked well on a rib eye. I find that if I font sear, back off for temp and sear again at the end I can get the fat cooked much better than with simply the front or reverse sear.

A big thick T-Bone is where I have always been goofy. In my old Weber days I would have the coals on one side and a water pan right next to them. I got the BBQ to 300 (temp gauge on BBQ) with the lid on. I would place the strip side over the coal side and the filet over the water pan. I would put the lid on, wait five minutes and flip. I would cover and wait another five minutes. I would move the steaks over the water pan and would cook for another 20 minutes, opening the vents a bit at a time until I had a roaring fire. Then I would put the whole steaks over the coals. In this manner, I got a front and reverse sear on the strip side and only a reverse sear on the filet side. The steaks would come out rare/medium rare. There was no science to it. There were no thermometers. It was my "secret" method for which I always got raves. Now I understand why. Those were my favorite steaks of all time. Not only are the cuts on the steak different but I was using two different techniques.

I have been able to do some of the same with my Santa Maria with a T-Bone. If I still had a Weber I would definitely have the SnS and would see how the old trick worked.

I know none of that solves the problem of what is better. I also know that some of my preferences probably goes against conventional wisdom. People who like their steaks really rare, regardless of the cut, will almost certainly always prefer the reverse sear. People who like their steaks well done, regardless of the cut, will definitely prefer the front sear method.
    Last edited by tbob4; March 20, 2017, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• Michael Brinton
      Michael Brinton commented
      Editing a comment
      Great post. As an owner of the sns I can report back that your old method of gently cooking the filet part of a t-bone definitely works. You just hang the part you don't want to cook over the edge. You had a fantastic method.

Have at it...Is there really a "correct " way to do it? Nope. Just don't expect everyone to drink the cool aid with you on this one. You're talking about cooking over live fire with flames and smoke...then removing the meat and placing it in a zip lock and shocking it in ice....that method would be a buz kill for me. I've got Kenji Lopez-Alt (an MIT graduate)and Meathead showing scientific evidence via rigorous scientific method, that reverse sear will do the best at minimizing the dreaded "grey" meat band with the best chance to maximize the Malliard reaction.

Comment

• Michael Brinton
      Editing a comment
      Putting it on a cold plate, or even just resting it will do. It's just that extra step as opposed to the sear and slide method that will give the even cook. The bag is extreme if just using a grill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3029.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	408.5 KB
ID:	292126
    I don't love AR just because of the camaraderie but because it makes me go and do fun things. So RonB - thanks. Your question caused me to rush out to the store and buy a couple of T-Bones to test the two methods. Obviously things will not be perfect. I will not have salted over night. However, I am going to reverse sear one and forward sear the other. I will give you photos and my review.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3031.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.84 MB ID:	292176Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3033.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.18 MB ID:	292177
      Cannot call it. Both steaks at 132. Right is the reverse sear and the left is the forward sear. The filet was better on the reverse sear and the strip was better on the front sear. I was hoping that one was better. Both were delicious and honestly I am happy with both.
      Last edited by tbob4; March 20, 2017, 07:25 PM.

Comment

• Michael Brinton
        Editing a comment
        Awesome, rolled up your sleeves and did what had to be done! :-) Yes!

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, a true sacrifice, just for us!

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Way to go tbob4.

I find it interesting that we talk of Meathead like he is not with us. But, we know he is lurking out there somewhere!

Comment

Michael Brinton , FireMan and RonB - I edited because I read it and realized I typed wrong. Reverse sear filet better, front sear strip better. I said front for both originally. Typo. It was a really arduous task. Ha! My wife helped judge and she agreed but she hates steak that rare. So I put a few pieces back on for a double sear. I'm not including those photos because they are gone. I don't want to mess with science, either. They were just as good, though. Not appealing to the eye. Moist, juicy and the pepper really stood out on the double sear.

Comment

Just throwing this out there.....I'm going to assume that if you at least use a two zone fire, and watch your temps closely, that a front sear or a reverse sear will be hands down better than the typical backyard knuckle head griller. There's always room to maneuver if you have a clear goal/mission, and have the knowledge . In the Rangers we improvised constantly, but with our core training and a clear goal or mission it was always doable. If the reverse sear is now considered the widely accepted standard, deviation from that isn't necessarily incorrect, if the main principles we've learned from the reverse sear are still kept in the equation. I propose the main principles are the two zone fire, a thermopen, proper timing of salt application, and using indirect heat for the majority of the cook.

Comment

This is one of those threads that will have a lot of different opinions. I used to front sear all my steaks for years, over the past 5'ish years, I've been reverse searing.
            I've been able to get a very narrow 'gray' band with front searing, and a great crust, so that wasn't my primary motivation to switch. The main reason I reverse sear now is the smoke. There's a distinctively better smoke flavor on my steaks when I slowly reverse sear in the smoke to about 110F, then sear it over the direct heat to 128F.

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              BBQbot - now that's the type of answer I wanted. A definitive difference between the two. I like some smoke flavor on my steaks, so I will continue to reverse sear - thanx.

My take? SV to 130°F--135°F, then slap it onto screaming hot GGs or CI for 30-45 seconds per side. No thermometer, no guessing, perfection every time.

Comment

OK -I have thought about this some more, and in consideration of BBQbot 's answer above - I should have know the answer to my own question all along. We all start with cold meat so that it can get as much smoke flavor as possible, (OK, I know not everyone likes a lot of smoke on their steaks). So if I front sear, I am raising the temp before much smoke flavor can be added to the meat. Therefore, as I stated above, I will continue to reverse sear which I did tonight.

And thanx all for the comments. That's what I really like about this site - civil discussions.

Comment

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                No! Don't stop the question. Didn't you see the T-Bones I bought last night because of you? Keep being perplexed so I have excuses. Even if it's not true - I need you to keep asking as an excuse to keep buying.

• Michael Brinton
                Editing a comment
                If you want to keep having fun testing you could try triangle tests. Basically cook two the same, front sear say, and one different, reverse. Then you have friends blind taste to see if they can pick which is different. Trying to keep all other factors the same.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here