Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Pastrami Lesson Learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Pastrami Lesson Learned

I did a pastrami yesterday using store bought corned beef and it came out extremely tender and juicy. I ran out of time to be able to rest it in a faux cambro though, but still super tender.
    I desalinated it for 24 hours and changed the water once. It still came out way too salty and next time I will slice off a bit and fry it up before committing the whole thing.
    Is there any way I can salvage it as other than the saltiness it is great??

i desalinated my over-salty pulled beef once by getting it cold, putting cold water in the pan with it and soaking it for a while. it worked pretty well. it wasn't perfect, obviously some of the rub got removed as well but it honestly made something near inedible to something edible.

if you don't want to go that route there are recipes for pastrami soup that are awesome for over-salted pastrami. when i messed up my first one (it, also, was way too salty) we made soup out of the most salty parts and it was amazing

Comment

• cwain8845
      cwain8845 commented
      Editing a comment
      That sound like a really good screw up fixed!

Sauce hides a lot of mistakes

Comment

You could make some pastrami hash. Use lots of potatoes and onions, and don't add salt.

Comment

We ended up making a huge pot of pastrami (beef) barley soup today. So far the flavor is wonderful and really looking forward to when the flavors meld.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I love beef barley soup. That sounds like the best way to salvage that pastrami to me!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here