Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide corned beef??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide corned beef??

Well according to this article its the perfect way to cook the meat (once its been brined) I found it very interesting reading.

I find it funny that after I sous vide the corned beef it looks like a huge chunk of bologna.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      My Bologna has a fist name its B-r-i-s-k-e-t....Ok wait that doesn't work

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      hahahahahahaha. You've got a way with words man!

See here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ge-and-carrots

Comment

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks mgaretz nice write up

Meathead just posted a recipe for pastrami and he's cooking it at 150-F for 36 hours. Do you think that would work the same?

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Well it's going to be pastrami instead of corned beef. But my take is that I prefer pastrami!

I Still Don't Parleee Voooo SIOUX VEEEE DOOOO? Meathead Said to Buy A Joule before last Thanksgiving So I Did❓. It's Still Unopened in the Box it Came In ❓. Looking at Every One Else's, Corned Beef and Cabbage, 👍@mgaretz 👍,
    I Might Take a Whack at Parleee Voooo'ng Next Year❓. No Time This Year, 10# of Brisket to Get Out of the Brine,
    +-3# Corned Beef, the Balance Pastrami! I HOPE❓. 🍀🍀😇🍀🍀 Happy St. Paddy's Day 🍀🍀😇🍀🍀
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like you need a visit from "tech support". Got plenty of corned beef or brisket or tough roasts or short ribs or sumthin' ? Tech support gets, um, hungry!

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF, Ed I need Mor'n Tech Support I Need a BBQ Girdle❓❓ 🍀🍀👍🍀🍀 🍀🤗😇🤗🍀
      From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

So, after finding inclination but lack of time for a brine-it-yourself corned beef, I sent off for a Wagyu / Black from SRF. Sent them a query about doing it SV. They referenced me to the ChefSteps recipe: 48 hours @ 140 F. That's what I've got in progress now. I'll pull it this evening, quick chill, and into the fridge for tomorrow.

Comment

You think cooking it at 150 for 36 hours would be too much? The sous vide maker shows a recipe at 120-125 for 48 hours. Thoughts

Comment

• Bruce54
        Bruce54 commented
        Editing a comment
        Under 130 for that long seems like a food safety bomb. 150 for 36 sounds OK.

I've seen 180 for 10, 158 for 24, ...

SeriousEats favors 180 for 10.

Comment

Seems like brisket, whether corned or not, has the widest range of SV time/temperature profiles. If I was running a cooking site, this would be a good excuse to cook LOTS of briskets.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like a plan to me, Boss!

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Brisket and short ribs have wide varieties of time/temp combos because you can get a wide variety of acceptable results with them. Steaky, pully, braisey, novel rare, so many different ways to go beyond steak cooking ranges.

So just to update everyone on this. I cooked the corned beef for about 36-hours at 150. It wasn't quite done and needed to be boiled for about 30 minutes. So I would extend the time out a bit.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
          GadjetGriller commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the info Flynhawaiian I had forgot I started this post! I have 3 frozen pickled (from Costco) hunks of brisket. I will have to try that (to date I have not yet done any long cooks in my sous vide I'l need to figure out a way to keep the water from evaporating.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here