Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time cooking/eating waygu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time cooking/eating waygu

Not too long ago Snake River Farms had a big sale and I bought three 6oz sirloins from then. I chose that cut because to be honest that's what the budget allowed. I cooked them tonight. I don't know what I expected. They cooked up perfectly (I seared and finished in the oven) and had a great crust, but they tasted no more flavorful than a prime steak. Maybe it's the cut. Sirloin is never my first choice. Maybe a waygu ribeye would blow my mind. But waygu sirloin? Mind not blown. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2467.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.13 MB ID:	288049Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2470.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.64 MB ID:	288050
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Obi-Dan; March 12, 2017, 07:51 PM.

My dad is big on sirloin. I'm not, ribeye for moi.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
      Obi-Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      Sirloin is probably at the bottom of the list for me. Ribeye is my first choice followed by a strip, then a t-bone, and finally a filet. I tend to think of prime rib in a separate category. I also really like flank and skirt but again, that's kind of a different category. And then comes sirloin.

Yeah, may have been the choice of cut Obi-Dan . I haven't yet had the pleasure of that kind of meat, though.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
      Obi-Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      I kind of agree. Don't see me purchasing a better cut anytime soon though. If these hadn't been on sale I wouldn't have bought these.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Was that the 2 for 1 sale they had last year? I went for the prime cap, then decided it was a little too rich for my pocketbook.

• Obi-Dan
      Obi-Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      It was the 40% off sale they had last month. I got these for $10 a piece. And don't forget as Pit members we get free shipping, that helps.

I really love sirloin myself. I am not a huge fan of ribeye. I won't turn one down, obviously! I think a good Angus sirloin has a lot to offer. I also love flatiron steaks. Yum!

Comment

I believe there is a big difference between Waygu and choice briskets. There's not that big a difference between the levels of waygu, in my opinion. I've not cooked enough prime grade to have an opinion.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here