Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cow

Just got my next cow from the butcher. What would you cook first to evaluate the quality of the entire beef? New butcher, we'll see how it works.

Personally, I'd try a rib steak or a chuck roast.

Comment

I agree with EdF - my uncle was a butcher and used to give us beef. The marbling was outstanding and EdF's cuts will tell you that. My uncle also used to let my dad trim fat off of certain cuts but removed silver skin from others. He knew my dad had no idea what he was doing when it came to fine tuning.

Comment

Just get a giant rotisserie and cook the whole darn thing.

Comment

• lschweig
          lschweig commented
          Editing a comment
          Party or feast time!

Click image for larger version

Name:	11f52f97acff73cd27051e30f3eed2b7.jpg
Views:	4499
Size:	411.6 KB
ID:	287033

Moooo!

Comment

• Wando52
          Wando52 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, yes it does

• KevinG
          KevinG commented
          Editing a comment
          That has to be from the Republic of Texas! Could you imagine the aromas coming from that all day!?!?!

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Who got the head?

Just look at it to see quality. You can see the fat distribution. Growing up it was always hits or miss whether one of our cattle produced nice steaks. My father liked to spoil them. We only had 1 or two at a time and then butchered.

Comment

any steak or roast from a primal cut will tell you a lot. Most compounds ingested by the animal are fat soluble, so the "fat flavor " should be distributed throughout, obviously more on some cuts though. If you take a sirloin tip ( or a chuck steak from the front shoulder) you should get decent fat that you can taste and also a pretty robust beef flavor from a more "worked" muscle. If the meat is very tender with a sirloin tip or chuck steak, then your ribeye, tenderloins, and brisket tenderness should be fantastic....Just my 2 cents though. My uncle was a butcher in Iowa and spending some time with him during summers I learned some stuff about meat. I wish I was in your shoes! I remember when my uncle would give my mom and dad a 1/4 steer...I love looking at all those nicely wrapped white butcher paper "presents" in the freezer. My uncle would cut my mom the best "chuck steaks" and my dad would cook them on the weber...its a food memory i have going way back to maybe when i was 5 or 6.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here