Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole Packer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole Packer

After reading smokinsteve's post about whole packers at Costco I just had to make a run. I was able to pick-up a 15lb prime packer, a three pack of top round roasts and a small choice boneless rib roast. All this to go along with my latest MCS acquisition, a Chefs Choice 615 meat slicer (the Mrs. is giving me sideways looks now). So, the question I have is what to do with the packer now that I have it. I have never cooked a brisket before. I intend to use my PBC although the packer looks a bit large to me.
    I have read in other posts about aging in the vacuum sealed package, and no ageing other than an overnight salt brine.
    any advice I could get would be much appreciated. I not in a big hurry to cook the brisket, tomorrow will be one of the top rounds.

Bill

Personally, I'd dry brine it for 2 - 3 days and then smoke it. Has your Costco carried full packers in the past, or is it something new?

Comment

• wmferg
      wmferg commented
      Editing a comment
      Truthfully I haven't rally looked before. Since I acquired this PBC and the success I've had with my cooks I'm looking to expand my horizons above just ribs and chicken.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      wmferg - go for it. There's lots of info here on how to smoke a brisket.

I would age that dude about 35 to 40 days if you have the refrigerator room.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      What Jerod meant to say, if I may be so bold, is to dry brine this one now, while it's on a 1-2 day brine, go back and buy a 2nd one, and let it wet age in the fridge for 35-40 days. #MoreBBQIsBetter

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sure you got that exactly right, PaulstheRibList !

• Iron Bulldog
      Iron Bulldog commented
      Editing a comment
      Got a 16# prime packer that I would like to portion and age in the fridge Jerod. Never aged in the fridge. Any advice would be appreciated.

Ah, that first brisket!!!

Step 1: Pat yourself on the back for getting onto the Brisket Game!

Step 2: Read Meathead s article on smoking brisket, http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

Step 3: Do it soon.

Step 4: Post pictures so we can enjoy it with you

Step 5: Certainly the PBCNation will be chiming in very soon telling you that you can absolutely cook a 15 pound prime packer in there. I feel certain that Jerod Broussard has cooked 7 of them in a single PBC more times than you have fingers and toes.

Step 6: Repeat

Comment

Just remember if you dry brine it to not use a rub that has salt in it as well. Being from Texas I would do it simply with a dry brine (improves the taste but also keeps it juicy) then add some coarse ground black pepper some granulated onion powder and something for a little heat like red pepper flakes or chipotle powder. Since its your first one I would use the Texas Crutch (wrap it in Foil once the bark is set 170 to 180 internal) add some liquid like beef broth or apple cider vinegar and worcestershire sauce) Start checking it for probe tender at 195 and pull when it is probe tender. Keep it wrapped and put it in a cooler for 2 hours or so finally then slice and serve (and take pictures!! I always forget that part lol)

Comment

Just like PaulstheRibList said .... read Meathead's article on brisket. Read it 6 more times before you actually cook that bad boy. Then follow Meathead's technique religiously for the first cook.

After that, you can start modifying your approach until you get to how you like it best.

That's my two cents worth.

Comment

Thanks all
          I belive I'll follow Jerod Broussard's advice and age it the 35 to 40 days. Dry brine with salt for 24 hrs. and rub with BBBR.

Comment

I'll start by saying that I have never cooked Brisket. But I have been researching it here and in other places. And like you, I am planning to do my first brisket cook on the Pit Barrel Cooker. (Which I do not own yet) So here are my thoughts on the subject as I contemplate my own first cook. First, you should absolutely read Meathead's article on brisket a few times. There is a lot of good information in there. And I found it very helpful. I also watched all the videos that were linked. But having contemplated it for awhile, it occurs to me that my plan will need to be adjusted for the PBC. It's a different kind of tool. So with that in mind I have paid close attention to the method outlined by Noah on the PBC web site. And I have read the posts made by PBC owners here in the Pit. I haven't formulated my specific game plan yet. But when I do, it will guide me throughout my cook. And it will likely be a combination of techniques. The most important advice I got early-on is to have a plan. And stick with it!

P.S. My advice is worth what you paid for it. Feel free to ignore. But good luck with your cook! And I can't wait to see the photos of your results. Cheers!!!

Comment

PJBowmaster True ... PBC is NOT a traditional smoker, weber with SNS, COS, etc. It definitely is a different tool. I can say this even though I've never used one for two reasons. 1. I have cooked on a lot of different stuff, including a Hasty-Bake, a CharGrill COS, a WSM, several different gas grills, and a couple different Weber kettles. 2. I've read a bunch of folks I respect on the PBC and it simply doesn't cook like anything I've cooked on.

All that said, I think the rest of the method is more important than the cooker.

Meat quality, trimming, dry brine, rub, consistent cooker temp, probe tenderness, hold in the cambro, slicing temperature ... these things matter, no matter which cooker you use. And notice that only one of them has anything to do with the cooker you use.

After cooking 20'ish packers, that's my input. Worry about a plan and a consistent approach, and you will be successful.

Comment

• PJBowmaster
                PJBowmaster commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree with all of that. And expressed pretty much the same sentiment by emphasizing Meathead's techniques in his article. If I didn't state that strongly enough here it is. I think the method outlined by Meathead is the backbone of the good plan.

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                PJBowmaster Absolutely!

Planning... to smoke your first full brisket is much scarier than actually smoking your first brisket.

For some strange reason people think doing a brisket cook is very difficult when in fact it's the same cook as a pork butt cook. The only difference is in the preparation work. Relax... make the plan and work the plan!

If you know how to control your cooker accurately for 16 hours... briskets are easy peasy.👍

Once you've completed your first brisket cook I almost guarantee you say to yourself... "that wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it was going to be."😁

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup .... hardest thing about a packer is learning how to trim it, in my opinion.

When all is said and done, you'll look back and say dang, that was easy. Don't get scared when it's not doing what you THINK it should do (the stall. Etc). Let your cooker and meat do what they are gonna do (temps, vents, etc). If you think your having an issue, chime in for some help. You'll get an answer real fast.
              If you follow Meathead instructions, you won't have a problem at all.
              If it was me, I would go ahead and cook it as a test brisket, then get another to dry age for a later time.
              Pretty soon you'll have 52 of em dry aging. One for each weekend of the year
              start small then expand.
              Ya gotta learn to crawl before you can walk....
              Ya gotta walk before ya can run....
              ya gotta learn to tie one shoe before you can tie both....
              ah you get the idea... You'll do fine

Comment

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                + 1 - Get one under your belt, then try dry aging. And you will get to try brisket almost 2 months sooner...

I don't have a PBC, but I'm wondering. If you hang meat like Brisket or Boston Butt and cook them to probe tender, won't the meat tear off of the hook?

Comment

• LarryO47
                LarryO47 commented
                Editing a comment
                Is is usually double hooked, lengthwise for more support, LA Pork Butt

• lschweig
                lschweig commented
                Editing a comment
                Ditto @Larry047 and when it gets to around 180 or so for safety's sake I put it on the grate.

Silly question, but on average what temp is probe tender for a Prime packer? I assume it would be lower than a choice brisket.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
                GadjetGriller commented
                Editing a comment
                Its different for every piece of meat. you are right Prime and choice tend to (I did say tend not always) to be ready earlier than select but not always lol for the higher grades its a good idea to start checking around 195 but they may not be done until 209 (or higher)
                Last edited by GadjetGriller; March 11, 2017, 12:49 PM.

• LarryO47
                LarryO47 commented
                Editing a comment
                I suspect GadjetGriller meant 209 (or higher)

• GadjetGriller
                GadjetGriller commented
                Editing a comment
                yes, yes I did LarryO47 lol Dang fingers with a mind of their own.

Another good read on brisket is Arron Franklin's book Franklin Barbecue
              Have fun with your cook!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here