Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corned Beef Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corned Beef Thoughts

My wife and I decided that we would do a good Irish dinner for our kid when he gets home from college on March 17th. Which means, of course, corned beef. I was going to grab a hunk of brisket flat at the grocery store .... thinking that it's going to be corned anyhow, so it should be fine. My wife said "no, go down to the butcher shop and get some of that Painted Hills beef that you love so much"

Is there going to be a real difference given that the brisket gets cured and boiled? Will that grass fed, free range Painted Hills beef (which creates superb steaks!) make a huge difference to my corned beef on St. Patty's? Should I corn the cheap brisket like the Irish peasants did?

Thoughts and input welcome.

Only doing it will tell. Me, I'd cure it myself in your situation.

Comment

Hey EdF No mattter what I'm Corning it myself. Question is, will I see any big difference between buying the high end Painted Hills grass fed, free range stuff at the butcher shop and the grocery store hunk of flat?

Comment

I'm of the mind the better the ingredients the better the end product. If I was just doing it for myself I would probably go with the (choice) brisket from the store. But since its for your family and especially your son I would go with the better stuff. Make him want to come home more!! (if thats what you want!)

Comment

Me, I'd look at the marbling. I have a fair amount of experience with grass-fed, having bought sides for about 6 years running. Personally, I love the flavor. But there really is not as much fat. Being of Irish half-extraction, I value the fat in a piece of corned beef. So, I'd forgo the grass-fed, and look at the other two.

The corning process is likely to hide some of those subtle flavors of grass-fed and free range. But that's speculation when comparing free-range and supermarket.

Comment

Well, I will keep this thread going and update it with the process and outcomes

Comment

I brined a point and flat yesterday and put all in a walk-in until next Tuesday. The flavor of a corned beef brisket that you do yourself is pretty good. I don't know if you will get a large flavor difference from grass fed beef, but you may get texture difference. Once you simmer until fork tender and then slice across the grain, it may be difficult to tell even if you have both side by side. Which is what you probably should do if you want to know. Also, after I simmer for about 4 hours to tender, I always put the fat side up under the broiler to render/ crisp some of that salty fat tissue. It makes for a good bite of meat.

Comment

Are you doing any sous vide yet? If so, this is a great method to cook your final product: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...ts-recipe.html It also discusses using a dutch oven if you're not doing sous vide.

If it were me, I'd do the cheaper cut. I don't believe you'll find much difference in final product. Will be interesting to see how it goes for you. Happy early St. Patty's day!

Comment

Since the wife said it, you better buy the good stuff. I have the same question about the difference in boiled beef. When I was a kid my folks' friends served what was described as "an expensive custom corned beef", the taste and texture of which I have never since had. I do not know if it was the cut or the ingredients/process that made it so good. I'm going to be looking back at this thread to see what people have to say - thanks for the question.

Comment

With brisket, I always try to get the best cut that I can.

Your putting a lot of time and energy into making this, plus, its a holiday. Why not eliminate as many pitfalls as possible? That is how I look at it. If you can, I would buy a full packer. You get a better price per pound and it's easier to find Prime that way too. You can always trim the Point off and brine that separately or smoke it and make burnt ends.

Comment

I'm with Spinaker on this one, especially with the grade of beef. Be wary of too much surface fat as it can get kind of gelatinous and gooey during the cure. While you're at it, get 2 and make pastrami out of the second one.

Comment

• Spinaker
                        Spinaker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Capt, My corned beef is being desalinated now!! Pastrami by Saturday!! Can't wait.

• CaptainMike
                        CaptainMike commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Alright, starting one tomorrow!

Well, my butcher shop sells Painted Hills beef. It's not graded, but like CAB it is going to be Prime, for sure. I think since I have wife permission to buy a really expensive brisket from the butcher shop, I'm gonna go for it and see what happens. I've done Corned Beef before, but only with grocery store HOF (cause I save my packers for smoking!). I always thought an inexpensive hunk of flat turned into pretty darn good corned beef.

I'll post details and pics as I go along.

Comment

• Spinaker
                        Spinaker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Looking forward to it!!

Making Corned Beef for the First Time! I need a little Advice, Should I Put the Pickling Spice in a Bag when I cook the Corned Beef? Me Sainted Ancestors will Naver Forgive Me if I Screw This Up! Huskee, Aaron Get Your Bra and All That!
                      πŸ€Γ°ΕΈβ€˜β„’πŸ˜‡Γ°ΕΈβ€˜β„’πŸ€. Thanks in advance for the Help!
                      Eat Well and Prosper, From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• ecowper
                        ecowper commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Nope, I just simmer the corned beef in clean water. The pickling spices are bart of your brine, but not your cooking. :-)

• Dr ROK
                        Dr ROK commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Danjohnston949, here ya go: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...ts-recipe.html

• Danjohnston949
                        Danjohnston949 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        ecowper, @Dr. ROK, Thanks Guys, I have Cooked Corn Beef in The Past (Store Bought)! It's Making and Applying the Brine that I am trying a firm handle on! I am making My own Picklng Spice! Every Recipe has a different approach i.e.: Dry vs Wet?
                        From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Found this article on epicurious re: Corned Beef and Cabbage .... pretty interesting stuff on the history and how the Irish actually feel about it.

Ireland's foremost cooking authority—cookbook author and teacher Darina Allen—shares her tips for making a favorite St. Patrick's Day recipe.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here