Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket story

Hello group,

I am new to barbecue. After stumbling into amazingribs.com, I was inspired by meatheads prose to go right to the top- texas brisket. I made about 6, each a little better than the one before. I really wanted to cook a prime grade but my supermarket never had it, my butcher shop said he can't get it ("resturants snap it all up") and the online sources are prohibitively expensive. So, I was resigned to do my best with choice. Then , in a big box store, there they were. USDA prime whole packers. The price ? $2.99/lb. I s you not. I have a photo of the label if anyone requires proof- A 14 pound prime whole packer for $42.

I had never injected and thought this was the time. Inject what ? About 3 briskets ago, I had the idea of rendering the trimmed fat on the stove and using that instead of olive oil on the surface. That liquified beef fat is unreal tasty. This seemed like a great thing to inject- supply the brisket with the internal fat that it never had. Turn it into ribeye ! Meathead says that one of the points of injecting is to get salt in there to improve water retention. So, I mixed the liquified beef fat with a product called "better than bullion" (which it is, way better, very salty with a nice beefy flavor) about 50/50. Dalmation rub, hung in the PBC. 5 hours to get to 180 then another 2 crutched to 203. Came out great. Of course, I have no idea what the injection acomplished because I did not have a controll non-injected prime brisket. Anybody ever try this or hearing of trying it ?

Never - but I really like this idea. Gonna look into rendering fat this weekend. Thank you for a great opportunity to taunt my wanna-be vegetarian son :-)

Comment

Sounds good. But we do need pics as proof of your cook otherwise it never happened
      oh btw welcome aboard.

Comment

Welcome timesnewroman I don't really see no need to inject a Prime brisket

Comment

Welcome! As you do more & more briskets, Choice & especially Prime, my personal thoughts are you won't see the need to inject. Not that injecting hurts anything obviously, it could only help the flat as long as you don't over-salt, but I bet if you did a control brisket of the same Grade cooked right beside the injected one, all things the same, you won't notice enough improvement to warrant the effort. But, there are those things we like and we do them because we like it, I get it.

Good score on the 2.99/lb Prime. I have been fortunate enough to get the same deal at a Costco 2.5hrs away from me (worth the trip to buy a few). In fact yesterday I trimmed & dry brined a 19lber for a cook tomorrow.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Pics as requested. I suppose I didn't need to inject anything. Being unsure if I would ever have another opportunity to cook a prime brisket, I wanted to make it as good as I possibly could.

Slicing some of the flat. No visible fat globules- the injected fat seems to have diffused into the muscle fibers. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3268.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	280344

Point just falls apart
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3291.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	280346
              Costco label. Cheaper than supermarket hamburger !
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3290.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	280345

Comment

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                Very nice. Making me hungry now

Looks strangely similar to mine for tomorrow timesnewroman

Click image for larger version  Name:	prime.JPG Views:	1 Size:	159.6 KB ID:	280356

Comment

Looks good! I love these Costco prime briskets, been doing about 1 a month lately. Brisket's looking good!
                I'll echo what a couple people above mentioned - you're probably not going to notice a big difference injected versus not. We've done some side-by-sides, and the difference is subtle. If you do go through the effort of injecting, you might want to also pick up something like Kosmo's Moisture Magic, it has no flavor (so you can keep doing your own), but has phosphates which helps to retain moisture.

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Northern CA. There have been people here who have talked in the past about rendering fat for injection. The replies have been mixed. Basically, if it worked well for you, keep it up. I would give that side by side a try to see if that delicious looking brisket was a result of your cooking and fat injection or just your cooking and the quality of the cut. I bought that Better than Bullion at Costco. It's absolutely fantastic except everyone was told sternly by the older sample lady "Now, if you buy this you HAVE to refrigerate after opening." I picked up a jar and she grabbed my arm and asked "Did you hear what I said about refrigerating?" I affirmed that I had and felt a bit scolded. You better believe it is sitting on a bottom shelf in the fridge. I'm afraid she will show up for a follow up inspection.

Comment

• timesnewroman
                    timesnewroman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Seems like it should have enough salt not to spoil. Stuff gets like tar and hard to handle out of the fridge. But that is where mine is, I fear the bullion police too.

Welcome to the Pit!!! Thanks for the support.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit timesnewroman ! One thing for sure, as long as you are cooking briskets, you'll have an ample supply of injection materials...) As well as paint for steaks, making your own ground beef, etc....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here