Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Attemp at Reverse Sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Attemp at Reverse Sear

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribeye 2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	27775 Cooked ribeyes today using reverse sear for the first time. Got the ribeyes (prime) at Costco. Salted ribeyes 2 hours before cooking. Cooked on a gas grill and monitored temp with Maverick 732. Cooked low part between 225-250. First side until 75 degrees, turned and cooked until 100. Removed and turned all burners on high. When temp was up, put meat back on cooked until 120, flipped and cooked until 135. Based with rendered steak fat during the high temp portion. Will continue to play with flip temps to determine what is best for my grill. But will definitely continue to use reverse sear.

I'd flip more often if you have heat under them or if you see one side getting a little more brown when going indirect.

Comment

That looks really good! I agree with Jerod. When searing flip every minute until they hit your target temp. You'll get a thinner layer of brown interior that way.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Jerod and Pit Boss. I only flipped one time during sear. I saw the brown layer and wasn't sure if it was caused by the initial low temp cooking or the sear phase. Next time I will flip at least every minute. I was afraid to flip a lot because I thought you would lose the sear effect by turning too much.

Comment

Nope, flipping prevents overcooking the surface, along with what Boss mentioned. Also, you should not see any juice coming out the top. Need to flip before that happens.

Comment

Would the juice out the top be pink? By basting with every flip it would be hard to determine if there is juice that is clear. How often/much do you baste during sear?

Comment

I first make sure to pat dry with paper towel since moisture will inhibit the Maillard.

I don't really baste. I wipe down with my beef love once on each side. And that's it for that.

I then go by temp for the finished product. 130-135.

Comment

Ok. Thanks! I will try that approach.

Comment

Don't baste during sear. That will ruin the browning you're looking for. Frequent flipping makes the sear more uniform on the outside and reduces the brown layer in the interior. Try our recommendations and report back with pics

Comment

I baste one side with beef love and toss that side on heat, and baste the other side. Then you're done basting.
                    During the sear phase I rotate 90* (1/4 turn) about every 15 or 20 sec, then flip it after a minute, minute 1/2. Repeat the rotate procedure. Do this until you reach a few degrees (3-5) UNDER your finished target temp, since there'll be a slight carryover cooking rise in temp. If I'm aiming for 130, I'll sear & flip until about 127 or thereabouts. If I'm doing 135, I'll removed around 132,133.

Comment

Duh! Beef love! I've got some in the freezer from my rib eye fabrication and have totally forgotten to use it on said ribeyes.

Reverse sear does wonders. Did some the other night and had put in a water pan for some reason. When I realized it, I spilled some of it on the coals when removing the pan, which steamed the meat a bit I'd imagine, and dropped my temps. But, in the end, when I dropped my hovergrill directly over the coals and seared the steaks, all was well

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here