Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami is Ready!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami is Ready!

Follow-up to last weeks post. It took about 5 hours for this batch to hit 170 IT. Pulled it off and put back in the fridge for a couple days. I don't have sous vide equipment, so I did it the "el cheapo" way. My stockpot, and Smoke thermometer, and gas stove burner! I was actually able to keep close to 195 the whole time. I vacuum sealed the pastrami, and let her go for 4 hours. What a difference! My wife even liked it, and she is not a pastrami fan! Soooo much better sous vide. I don't think that I will ever steam my pastrami again. David Parrish , this is the best pastrami I have made yet! I have only made two batches of brisket, but I have made a lot from goose breast, and other game. This is the best by far!
    Attached Files

Beautiful!

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you sir! 😎

That looks beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. I will have to check out Dave's post.

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      You really NEED to make this. Seriously.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I am starting the brine tomorrow!!! Thunder77

The neat thing about the post smoke sous vide is you can squeeze the bag to see how tender things are getting.

I just ate supper and could go for a good pastrami sandwich with lettuce and mayo right now.

Comment

Looks delicious! How long before you start your next batch?

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        As soon as I can find another brisket under $4.00/lb! It's strange, but around Baltimore, the whole packer is about 3.50/lb, but flats go for $7.00/ and up! And it's tough to find whole packers.
        Last edited by Thunder77; February 19, 2017, 12:21 AM.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Our briskets are up to $2.26/lb with plenty Choice to choose from. Might be months before I see another Choice in town. Thunder77

Whole packers run about $2.85 in Southern Illinois. A trimmed flat is $6-$7 . Buy the packer, separate the point, cut the flat in half-cure all 3pcs. Pastrami the flats and the point is corned beef. Makes wonderful homemade corned beef hash.

Comment

Y'all are killin' me; Now I'm gonna haveta do me up a brisket into pastrami / corned beef. Need t' make a practice run for St. Paddy's, y' see...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Thunder77 yer's has always looked fantastic, an' is one o' th' main reason's th' mere mention o' pastrami makes me drool!!!
          Lover yer SV setup, as well!
          "Up two, left one; fire for effect...
          Bingo!!! Repeat!!!"
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; February 19, 2017, 12:34 AM.

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Repeat fire for effect, over! Battery 3 rounds! Willy Pete!

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Send it!!! Walk it in on th' purple smoke, then Make It Rain!!! Out.
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; February 19, 2017, 11:47 AM.

Fantastic!!

Comment

Gorgeous pastrami! I would love to have some of that for my breakfast.

Comment

Great looking pastrami. I need to do this again.

Comment

Fantastic Looking Pastrami! I asked Yesterday at the Meat Market if they Had any Corned Beef in stock, I was Told not until it Gets Closer to St. Pat's?
              Maybe I'll just Make My Own! Boiled Cabbage and Vinegar, Boiled Potatoes and a We Nip of Jamison's! It Don't Get More Civilized than That!
              Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Man, Oh Man!!!! Danjohnston949 !!!!
                Now ya got me a' droolin' all on my keyboard!!!!
                I'm puttin' Good Money on th' fact yers'll be a whole helluva lot better than anything any store could come up with!!!
                Jus' sayin'!!!!

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                  Danjohnston949 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mr. Bones, If I do It Will be the First Attempt for Me! I'll Have to Scratch Both Ends to Come to a Decision?
                  From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Awesome cook! Really glad you like my spin on Meathead's recipe.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don't be forgetting the melted Swiss, Danjohnston949 !

• Danjohnston949
                  Danjohnston949 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Spinaker, I am seriously thinking about the Training Class! Lord Knows I Am In Need of It! I bet even Your Pastrami is Better When Partaken with Good Company!
                  From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Damn Right sir!! Danjohnston949

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here