Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How hot is too hot for searing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael. Excellent video. Thank you for sharing. I think the chimney technicque is worth trying for sure.
    While I've finished a sous vide cut using a charcoal grill, I've yet to try the chimney method. It looks very promising and will likely try it this weekend.

The only drawback I've found when using a charcoal grill, is that I don't have the expertise or skill to prevent the sear thickness from encroaching too far into the delicate and wonderful uniformity achieved through sous vide.

For indoors, I've gotten best result by simply drying the stake, or pork chop with a kitchen paper-towel, slightly re-seasoning just a tad right before placing on a hot skillet. Both non-stick and CI work really good for me; however, seems like the non-stick has more forgiving properties.

I don't have a temperature reference other than I've seared my sous vide preparations most of the time using an electric GE glass top stove with a temp. dial set to 8ish almost 9. My range is 0 to 10. I let the pan get hot, add a few drops of water too see if it evaporates fast like the ChefSteps video that accompanies the Joule SV recommend doing, then add olive oil and a few seconds later, the sous vide cut.

I add a bit of butter to finish the sear, but olive oil is what I've used to start the searing process. I don't let it sit more than 30 seconds per side and it woks great.

I wish I could provide a temperature or a BTU reading, but I don't have a way to measure it, or haven't figured out how.

Comment

• Michael Brinton
      Michael Brinton commented
      Editing a comment
      Taking readings of pans isn't much use. The type of pan will change the stored energy. Cast iron is probably best. Shocking your sv steak in an ice water bath, for a minute or so, is a good trick to control temp gradation.

Spinaker - I bought a carbon steel paella pan. I am seasoning it now. Any experience with this or advice?

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep!! Carbon steel is awesome. Treat it just like you would your cast iron. The seasoning will be rapid because the surface is so smooth. However, its also not as durable. But they are great to cook with. Congrats, lets see it!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      The wife and I love our stainless paella pans because they're so easy to clean. I imagine the carbon steel ones will be just fine - they're the classic!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2913.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.21 MB ID:	284831
    Spinaker - World Market was having a clearance on the fajita rings and the paella pan. So I said "what the heck". MCS but I know I will be using them on my Santa Maria. They have been oiled and are in the oven seasoning.
    Last edited by tbob4; March 5, 2017, 08:54 PM.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      TheCountofQ - I'm looking to use it on the BBQ for all things "saucy". I might also do some shell fish on the Q with it. I haven't done that yet. The rap on it is rust but with Spinaker 's seasoning advice, I am confident I'm all good.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF - Do share some of the stuff you do with the paella pan, please. I have had ideas since I saw it last year but if you use it on a regular basis I know your ideas are better and I'd love to hear about them.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      tbob4 I use it as my main drip pan, mostly. Because it makes my wife happy that it's so easy to clean. It's a perfect fit for the large BGE. One of these days, it will be for paella though. ;-)

I have been known to cook things in shells in it though.

At that price, I really wanna order one too!! I just don't have room to store it.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      The wife was gone for the weekend helping my daughter move apartments. That's why I found the opportunity to get it. It is going into my already crowded BBQ shed. If it showed itself in the cupboard I would be done-for.

• TheCountofQ
      TheCountofQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahahahaha!! LOL!! Wait a minute <scratches head, thinking> If she is gone this weekend, you really had to plan this out.... for the weekend delivery. Shrewd, my man,...shrewd!!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      No no. I knew they were at World Market but didn't know they would be on clearance. I was going to chose between the paella pan or the fajita trays. With the sale I bought two fajita trays and the paella pan for what I thought I would spend for one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2914.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	358.9 KB
ID:	284903
    TheCountofQ - Where is Waldo? Things are kept in a state of disarray for a reason! Hahahahaha

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Hiding in plain sight. Ingenious. She'll never know. For a while.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc - after last night's cook she saw the pan and immediately recognized it as new. I told her I posted what I had done here and she tried not to laugh. The shed is now clean!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2946.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	374.4 KB
ID:	286647Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2948.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	360.6 KB
ID:	286648Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2950.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	318.3 KB
ID:	286649
    Spinaker , EdF and TheCountofQ - The Paella pan and Grillgrates work together really well on my Santa Maria grill. Tri-tip fajitas while multitasking with the grates and pan.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
      TheCountofQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice!!!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I talking about!!!

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      You certainly put your purchases to good use. That's a beaut of a setup.

Kathryn

Maybe you guys have already seen it but here's Kenji's take on reverse searing steak.. Interesting for sure..

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here