Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Issues

I put an 11 pounder on last night around 7 and it finished around 10 this morning. I'm letting it rest 3 hours wrapped snugly in peach paper and a blanket and tucked down inside of a cooler. Plans have suddenly changed and we won't be eating it tonight but rather tomorrow. What's the best way to store it in the fridge? Despite the overwhelming desire to cut a piece off the end, I will leave it whole until tomorrow so it doesn't lose any deliciousness.

I get them into a freezer ASAP as soon as internal temp drops below 140. Preferably on a wire rack. Chill until plenty cool to the touch then transfer to the fridge.

Comment

Isn't that dangerous to put hot meat in a freezer? Worried about bacteria growth.

Comment

You shouldn't have any problems placing in a freezer once it comes down below 140. I do multiple without any problems. The problem would be placing that big of a hunk of meat straight into the refrigerator while still pretty hot.

If you have taken that thing to 200+ internal and you still have pathogens, then no matter how cautious you plan to be, you might just have a super bug on your hands that may require HPP, High Pressure Pasteurizing.

I reheat to 165.
        Last edited by Jerod Broussard; February 12, 2017, 01:26 PM. Reason: grammar grammar grammar

Comment

Cool. Thanks. How long should it chill before going to the fridge?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            It typically takes 2-3 hours before I consider them cold enough for the fridge. I REALLY don't want to place anything that is even close to being warm and that big in the fridge. By then it is a matter of killing the fridge and possibly ruining everything in the fridge.

My meteor of meat. Pay no attention to that SMALL chopped off piece .

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0054.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	274624

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Move along, nothing to see there!

Originally posted by SlushDeezey View Post
          Pay no attention to that SMALL chopped off piece .

Name:	IMG_0054.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	274624

NO idea what you are talking about.

Name:	Meteor.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	274637

Comment

Funny how stuff like that happens

Comment

• lschweig
              lschweig commented
              Editing a comment
              Jerod Broussard I think that is called chef's bonus.

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              lschweig I cooked one last night for someone I used to work with. Been a while since I regretted not stealing a corner. I resisted begrudgingly.

Looks like someone snuck in and whacked off a piece. Yo're lucky they didn't leave the small cut off piece and abscond with the rest.

Comment

• SlushDeezey
              SlushDeezey commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah I ought to find that guy

Beautiful!

Comment

• SlushDeezey
              SlushDeezey commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you. It has that perfect mahogany color and the taste is pretty good too

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here