Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Round of Pastrami/Corned Beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Round of Pastrami/Corned Beef

Well, I started my first batch of Corned Beef and Pastrami tonight. I'll be leaving 1 of the flats for Corned Beef and the other will be made into Pastrami. I can't wait. I hope all goes well! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170211_204245.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	274270

If you follow Meatheads instructions, I'm sure it will go well.

Comment

I am glad your doing this now. I just ordered my container. It should be here on Monday. I can't wait to get going on this. It's a long haul, but I know it will be worth it. Thanks for posting this. And make sure to keep us updated on the progress.

Comment

Kool I want to try that so bad! What meat are you using? If Brisket is one the flat and the other the point or both flat ect? Cool vessel you have there, get it off Amazon? Ok my 5 year old self is out of Questions no wait WAIT one more why is the sky Blue??? Ok I feel better Oh and Good Luck keep us posted.

Comment

Thanks guys. I am following Meathead's instructions because I've never done it before. I actually picked that up today at a local restaurant supply store. I was looking for a garlic press and knew they'd have one. Naturally I can't just walk into a store like that and not look around for a bit. I figured this container would work perfect for making corned beef. GadjetGriller. This is the flat only. I cut it off the point and then cut them in half again. Spinaker, I will keep everyone updated as I go through the week. I'm hoping for some good Reuben's next weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMisunderstood View Post
          ...Naturally I can't just walk into a store like that and not look around for a bit...
          Very true and I can easily get into "trouble" spending too much $$! Of course I have the same problem online as well. I'm looking forward to seeing your beautiful Pastrami!

Comment

• BigCountryQ
            BigCountryQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I walked in expecting to spend about $5-$7 and ended up spending about $60. Not a terrible day lol

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            BigCountryQ I think you did quite well. It's when I've planned to spend say $20-50 and end up spending 10x that I think about what I now can't do!

The pastrami really isn't all that difficult. It is an involved process, but well worth it! The hardest part for me was being patient!

Comment

Ok, so I have a couple of questions for you veteran Corned Beef guys.
            In Meathead's instructions he says the following.

2) Place the meat in a large pot along with enough hot water to cover it by at least 1" and put the lid on. Turn the heat to medium low, bring it to a simmer and then simmer for 30 minutes.

Question #1: should i put the meat directly on the bottom of the pot? I have an induction cook top and the actual heating source is the bottom of the pot, rather than a flame. I'm worried about scorching the meat. Has anyone used anything to prop the meat off the bottom of the pot?

Question #2: Does anyone have a good temperature for the simmer (on the water that is)? I realize water will boil at 212°F, but wondering if anyone has had a target temp they hit while making corned beef.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Once you put the water in, it won't matter - the brisket will float a little and move around in the water.
              As far as target temp , bring it up near boiling, lower it a bit so it bubbles gently. Then cover (maybe a little ajar so you can keep an eye on it) and lower a bit more.

Corned beef is "Cured" not cooked?
            Edit: I always make Pastrami, never got to post cure cooking corned beef.
            Last edited by SMOG MAN; February 14, 2017, 11:06 AM.

Comment

All in all I think my first time was a success. I need to pay closer attention to the calculator for amount of cure/time when I try this again.

This was after day 5 in the brine. This one went back into the container with the plain water to desalinate for Pastrami.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170216_204357.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.19 MB ID:	278325

Here's the corned beef after it simmered for about 3 hours.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170216_215927.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.90 MB ID:	278326

Pastrami in the smoker after setting for about 18 hours in the fridge with rub on. I didn't have time this time to run it for the full 48 hours as Meathead suggests.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_33882.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	278327

This is where my issue came in. Once I finally opened her up, I realized the cure never got all the way through in the middle section. This also happened with the CB.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170218_160300.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.92 MB ID:	278329

The flavor was still great for both. I know of a couple things I'd do differently next time. But for now, I know my wife likes having the refrigerator back.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here