Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second Batch of Pastrami on the Smoke!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second Batch of Pastrami on the Smoke!

I finally got the kettle cleaned today, so I could get my pastrami smoking. I cured about 6.5 pounds of brisket, and l laid on Meathead's pastrami rub yesterday. I know that it's supposed to go two days in the fridge, but my weekend is about to run out, so I needed to do it today.

Got the kettle set up with the SnS/drip n griddle pan combo (Yes, Dave Parrish has all my money) . Cranked it up to 225, and added the hot water to the reservoir. Added 3 pieces of cherry 🍒 for Smoke, and added the meat. I let her go up to 250-260, to speed the process some, since it was late when I got the meat on. About 53 degrees F ambient temp. Ridiculously warm here today. Meat temp 36 degrees F. Closed the lid on the kettle at 14:55 hours.

Update: Getting there! Meat is at 168 degrees F IT now.
    Update: It's soooo good!!
    David Parrish This is the best batch of pastrami that I have made. After about 5 hours on the Smoke it was at 170 IT, and bark was set. I put it back in the fridge for a day or two. Then I did the Pit Boss "Pastrami Perfected" method. I don't have sous vide equipment, so I did the "el cheapo" method. A stock pot with water, and my Smoke temp probe. 😎 I was actually able to keep the temp pretty close to 195 the whole time. My wife said she even liked it, and she is not a big pastrami fan! It is so much better sous vide. I will probably never steam pastrami again.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Thunder77; February 18, 2017, 05:11 PM.

I get to pull mine for the rub Monday night can't wait let us know how it comes out. Looking really good

Comment

It looks like you are off to a nice start.

Comment

What size holes did you drill for them probes? I been too lazy to check for mine. That pastrami is crazy awesome.

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod, I just run the probe cables under the lid for now. It looks like 3/8"-7/16" would be about right.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here