Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So tomorrow I have my biggest and toughest cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So tomorrow I have my biggest and toughest cook

The small winery is doing a 5 course valentines day dinner for 55.00 a person and I get to do the meat, now it is supposed to be prime rib and was told they had 5 couples sign up for it. I was asked how much I could cook and I figured with 5 couples it would be no biggie deal on the size of the roast. Well I received the meat last night so I could start Trimming and get it salted. What she brought me was two whole boneless ribeye roast each weighing 14 lb. Now it is not the meat or size that concerns me is the time on these, the dinner starts at 4:30 and that is when I need to have them done one with the other shortly after. I am not thrilled about a faux Camaro for two long due to I don't want them to carry over to much. I can put one on my extender rack above the other knowing one will cook faster due to temp. difference, I received my sns today so I could always do dueling grills with Alexa pouring out some Appalachian music while they cook (I am in the woods next to a lake) either way it is going to be a fun interesting day. Click image for larger version  Name:	WIN_20170210_134530.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.71 MB ID:	273429Click image for larger version  Name:	WIN_20170210_134543 (2).JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.94 MB ID:	273430
    Last edited by customtrim; February 10, 2017, 01:37 PM.

Best of luck to you. Sounds like you have it under control. Let us know how it goes

Comment

We want pics...lots of pics

Comment

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        DWCowles, Please add or detract from My Post below! I think I Stole Most of it From You! Thanks
        From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

customtrim, Like Spin said it Sounds Like You have it under Control! For What it's Worth, I would Dry Brine for 24-36 Hrs W/Kosher Salt, Garlic Powder and then 6-8 Hrs I would add Tones Rest Grind Black Pepper! Note, I wouldn't Trim the Roasts to Close! I would try to have Grill or Smoke @ 325* F for 15-20 Mins/Lbs based on the Weight of the Smallest Roast if You are going to cook both at the Same Time on the Same Grill! This should get You Close! Your Instant Read Thermometer and Faux-Cambro should give You a Bullseye ! Happy V-Day and Good Smokein'!
      Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Here's hoping it doesn't actually end up being your toughest cook!

Comment

Can't wait to see how it turns out. And I love how autocorrect seems to have turned a Cambro into a Camaro.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol!!! That there is pretty funny, carolts customtrim !!!
            If I wanted t' be 'Autocorrected, I'd get married again! ;-)
            So, I always turn it to th' "OFF' position.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Mr. Bones you're a man of rare wisdom!

• carolts
            carolts commented
            Editing a comment
            An upside down Pacer would be more aerodynamic...

You can do it! I'm always nervous cooking for money.

Comment

customtrim ,How did your cook turn out?
            Last edited by richinlbrg; February 20, 2017, 08:40 AM.

Comment

It turned out good considering it got done 2.5 hours early. Stucck the meat in a faux cambro and it held the temp till the customers arrived to eat frijolefrito

Comment

• richinlbrg
                richinlbrg commented
                Editing a comment
                CONGRATS, customtrim !

I know better than to post before I've had my coffee! I DO know who started this thread!

DOH

richinlbrg the customers were happy the winery owner was happy but i considered it a big failure in not having the meat done closer to the serving time. I did alot of reading and researching blogs and recipes and meatheads diagrams about meat size diameter is more important than length or weight. Instead of following what i was reading i went on my thought which was no where near the ballpark. I know better now but it is still hard to believe that 28 lbs of roast only takes a hour and a half longer than 4 lbs of roast

Comment

• richinlbrg
                richinlbrg commented
                Editing a comment
                LOL

But it was well received, and that is all that matters! We are usually our own biggest critics.

CONGRATS of a success, and here is to future successes.

Awesome!

Comment

I was really looking forward to seeing everybody eating in a Camaro. Job well done, sort of.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here