Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Brisket ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Brisket ever

Hello all from germany,

my daughters 2nd birthday is coming up in two weeks. A celebration which had established itself as an occasion to fire up the smoker after the great reception of last year's pulled pork. When people speak of bbq around here, they generally mean throwing a couple brats and thin, marinated steaks on the grill over direct heat without a lid. Smoking or cooktimes over an hour, let alone 12 were unheard of, at least within the broader circle that is my family and friends. Therefore my first take on bbq was well received. I cooked on this sad and flimsy barrel, which had me get up several times during the night to refuel and add water. There wasn´t much fun involved. But after tasting the result, even that little guy put out, I soon upgraded to my current cooker, on which I have done several butts, a couple ribs and gotten to know its behavior well enough to get it to hold the temperature for hours and hours. Love that thing.

I feel comfortable enough to try a brisket. The cut is hard to come by, since most butchers are never asked for it. I got a 10-12 lb USDA Choice BAC online, arrived frozen, vacuum-sealed and now sitting in my freezer. It set me back quite a bit and I don´t want to jeopardize the result by not being ready. I plan to stick mostly to meatheads brisket recipe.

So here ist my plan, followed by a couple questions. Comments and critique most welcome:

I´ll be cooking for 22 adults and 6 kids. There will be some pulled pork on the smoker too and skewers with authentic russian Schaschlik on my gas grill. People will be arriving Sunday around 3pm.
    • Move brisket from freezer to fridge Thursday evening
    • Trimming until 1/4" fat-cap remains
    • Apply Salt 2h before cooking, pepper just before it moves on the grate 9pm Saturday night
    • Target-temp will be 225°F
    • Wrapping after 5-6 hrs if the bark ist to my liking
    • Tend the fire and move to faux cambro around 200° (my cambro would be the styrofoam insulator box it came in [are there really issues with melting even if lined with a towel] since I don´t own a plastic beer cooler)
    • hold it in cambro until slicing
    Sounds easy enough

Sides: Texas beans, german potato salad (though not warm ) white bread, cole slaw rosmary roast potatoes
    1. Do you definitely recommend the "Big Bad Beef Rub" over Salt and pepper? I´m worried about too much heat from cayenne/chili and was shooting for authentic, simple brisket
    2. Do you have alternative suggestions concerning sides?
    3. Anything vital I seem to be forgetting or unforseen obstacles I might run into?
    Thank you for weighing in,
    scheitholz

I struggled with brisket until I found AR. Read the relevant stuff on beef here: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/index.html (especially the first three articles). Then read this: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html. Read about dry brining herein. Spend time just wandering through the AR info!

Don't worry too much about specific rubs--do what you like. I like to run between 250°F and 275°F; it's a little faster. Get a good thermometer (preferably one you can leave in the meat) and make sure the internal temp is around 200°F and that the meat is probe tender. Wrap in foil and thick towels and place in your styrofoam faux cambro for a couple of hours. I can't imagine that would melt the styrofoam.

Choose whatever sides YOU like.

If it ain't perfect, don't worry, you'll do better next time! Your guests will enjoy it, so don't point out any minor flubs.

Give us your German potato salad recipe! (Pretty please!)

Comment

• scheitholz
      scheitholz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Willy. The recipe will follow shortly. Promised

I have two suggestions for you:
    Take the meat out of the freezer Tue or Wed. and salt Thur. - Two days will give you better salt penetration on the thicker parts.
    Move to the faux cambro when it's probe tender - probably somewhere between 195* F and 200*+ F.

I think your friends will call you the BBQ god after tasting your brisket.
    Last edited by RonB; February 6, 2017, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• SMOG MAN
      SMOG MAN commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with RonB, more time to thaw and more time for the salt to penetrate. Your start time for a 3pm. meal may be a little early.

• DeusDingo
      DeusDingo commented
      Editing a comment
      this is what i was going to say as well

If you're looking for that authentic Texas Brisket, just run with the Salt/Pepper (Dalmatian). I agree with RonB , take it out on Tue or Wed and Salt for two days. Ease up a bit on the salt towards the thinner parts of the meat, and heavier towards the thicker parts.

Comment

Thawing 4 days and salting 2 days in advance sounds reasonable. I take it there's no reason for concern about spoling/contamination during 4 days in the fridge? How would you keep the meat during that time? I'll probably keep it in its seal during thawing and rerap in plastic foil after salting.

Comment

I just did my first whole packer brisket Sunday and it turned out good. Here are some highlights as reference:

1) I used the big bad beef rub BUT I used about 1/2 the amount of pepper and 1/4 the amount of cayenne that the recipe calls for because i made it once before and it was too spicy for my liking.
        2) 9 pounder
        3) on Pit Barrel, fat cap down
        4) temp: 225-250
        5) injected with beef broth and a couple dashes of worcestershire and dry brined the night before (i think that was too early for the injection)
        6) it smoked unwrapped on the smoker for approx 4.5 hours, then wrapped in butcher paper AND aluminum foil for approx 4 hours (because the butcher didn't give me quite enough paper to seal it up without the foil.)
        7) I put it in the cambro once IT hit 197 to 199 on a couple of spot checks. Cambro was a cooler and two towels
        8) It sat in the cambro for approx 2 to 2.5 hours, and the IT was at 163 when i took it out
        9) I sliced it up within 10 mins of taking it out.

From my research and results, if i had to pick one must it would be wrapping it. At least until you get more under your belt. Enjoy!

Comment

Nice work. Good to hear the cook went well.

I would encourage you to hang you next brisket and hold off wrapping until your internal temp hits about 185 F. The extra flavor and bark that are accumulated between 165 F and 185 F is impressive. Especially on the PBC.
          I would also skip the injection. I have never found it to be overly useful, not to mention it make a huge mess.
          You can wrap at about 185 F and have the best bark you've ever turned out. Great Job on the Cambro time. That is the sweet spot and a very necessary step in the process.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here