Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time Chuck...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time Chuck...

Wrote yesterday that I got boneless chuck ribs and chicken thighs. Then all that I read last night and this morning about Chuck roasts? I'm in, just went out and got a 3.3 lb Angus Choice Chuck roast. I'll attach the pics shortly.

I've seen the PBC chuck discussions and love it. I will report back how the big green egg does.

I typically use royal oak, my neighbor surprised me with a big fat bag of BGE charcoal which I also like alot, just a bit more exp. Anyway, the firebox is lit, the flameboss 200 set at 250 and the chuck is probed. Cooking on the to-p setting of adjustable rig. One piece of split locally sourced (back yard) red oak.

coffee/sugar/salt/cayenne rub

Happy Super Bowl Sunday, looking forward to eating and reading and pics of indulgence.

Bit more thorough an introduction. My name is Chris and I suppose I am not a vegan but wanted to a show a face behind the name. I live in Southwick, MA and have a wife and 3 carnivores.

Attached Files

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      That's surely not Southwick, MA in the pic?

I especially like a little house BBQ sauce to keep chuck interesting. Regardless, it's a wonderful way to cook chuck. Excited to see the results!

Comment

Mornin' Chris, pleased t' meetcha!
      Looks like yer in for a grand soft day, cookin' great food.
      Keep th' pics comin' when ya' can!

Comment

Where I call home base. Plenty of prep space outside and umbrella if I need it for rain or whatever. Inside I have a pool shed/cabana deal that has toilet h/c running water and the fridge holds plenty of protein. Spice Rick and butcher paper on a roll overhead.

Just added thighs to rack under chuck. Everything looking a little anemic right now.
        Attached Files

Comment

Looking good. Keep up posted.

Comment

Great base of operations, nice pics, food lookin' great so far!!!
            Enjoy yer day!!!

Comment

Looks like a great set up. Pulled chuck roast is awesome!

Comment

Chuck is 189 here. Rib pcs still need 3 hours. No drip or water pan and no heat deflector used, 250 as mentioned earlier, and a VERY humid cooking environment. Whatever it is so far so good. Overloaded the 8 lbs of ribs on the bottom 18 inch grate. Who knew what 8lbs would spread out like on the grate??? Anyway, thighs off and now plenty of room and air for the ribs and chuck and things are humming along nicely. I just informed the Warden (that's the mrs, get used to reading that, everyone in town calls her that, even kids, not sure that she likes it much but oh well it stuck and I'm not unsticking it) that I'm making nachos. She said she is making them w organic ground turkey and I said no they will be made with pulled angus chuck. Turkey is fine. Just not for nachos, and not for super bowl nachos.

Mhmm, maybe I'll pull the meat and serve the chips ontop of the meat. The chips are invited guests not the other way around.

Attached Files

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  C'mon! pulled beef, melted cheese, chopped jalapenos, some nice, spicy salsa! you know what you want! Oh yeah, and corn chips, preferably the limed kind!

Ok, the beef no longer looks anemic. The chuck is taking its time approaching 7 hrs and at 195. I'm I. No hurry.

The nachos, complete w pulled chicken cooked earlier before .... really, really good. And a boatload of chicken meat ready to add to plates of nachos.

Facefuls of chuck and ribs in my future.

Attached Files

Comment

• TheCountofQ
                  TheCountofQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What kind of ribs are those?? They look great!! Also, what is your smoker temp??

Ribs........ fantastic. Some more tender then others of course. And those that were, were great. Those that weren't were great.

If walmart. Had those on a regular basis, boneless, they could become regular snackers. Not dry at all and great beefy flavor. Some had sauce and some didn't. Both vvg.

Chuck in the cambro. Came off the egg at 205.
                Attached Files

Comment

Count, those are boneless chuck ribs.

Attached Files

Comment

Smoker temp 250 entire cook. Nachos melted nicely at 250.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here