Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time prime rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time prime rib

I purchased a small rib roast today for smoking. It is about 3.6 lbs after trimming the fat and tying it. My question is how much smoke, or how often should I refill my chip holder (Masterbuilt electric 30") during the cook? I don't want it too over powered with smoke but would like to know it has been smoked.

Also, I have mesquite, apple, and hickory chips? Which would you recommend?

Thanks
    Rut

Welcome to the Pit.

Most meats soak up the most smoke flavor in the first 2 hours of the cook. After that point, you really don't need to add any more smoke. (I have never used a master built though.) I would go with the Hickory chips on this one. Mesquite will be too much, and apple might be a bit to subtle but it would still work well. Hickory, is always just right. IMO.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 fer Hickory!
      >>Ol' Faithful!<<

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      I was gonna say exactly what Spinaker just said so now I dont have to. (oh but please dont soak the chips before you put them in! I know the booklet tells you to but dont!! That thick smoke you see is really mostly steam with a little bit smoke.)

rutledj, I agree with everything Spinaker, Mr. Bones and GadjetGriller advised You! I would suggest You Dry Brine Your Rib Roast with Kosher Salt for Up to 24 Hrs before the Smoke and add your Rub just Prior to Putting it on! For Rib Roasts I usually use Garlic Powder and Rest. Grind Black Pepper for the Rub with an additional sprinkle of Kosher Salt! Your Roast will absorb more Smoke the Colder it is!
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. Being from Las Vegas, I gotta double-down on the Hickory for this one.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here