Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I have a thermometer in the Point and the Flat ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I have a thermometer in the Point and the Flat ?

This is the first time I have separated the point from flat prior to smoking it. My last brisket I smoked until 203 degrees and it was unreal so that's them temp Im going for again. I have 2 thermometers. One for smoker temp and one for meat. Should I put one in the flat and assume the flat will cook quicker since its not as thick? Then pull out when done and transfer thermometer to point? Any tips would be great thanks. Maybe put point closer to heat source than the flat as well? How do you guys do it?

In my MES-30 I've always had to separate the point and the flat and I did use probes in each piece. I have seen as much as a 2 hour difference in temp times between the 2 pieces.

Comment

I would put the thermometer in the flat and after the flat is done I would put the thermometer in the point until done. Ideally I would have a probe in each and one on the grill. Try going for probe tender rather than temp. Begin checking at 190 - especially the flat since it can dry out so easily. I don't know what you are cooking on, but if your smoker has two levels put the point on the higher or if it an offset closer to the heat source. If it an offset you will probably need to rotate the meat throughout the cook.

Comment

Its an electric Bradley smoker, heat element is down low. So you think flat on bottom point on top? Probably help to baste it as well with fat dripping off point onto flat.

Comment

Droptine typically when the heating is at the bottom the upper level runs hotter then the lower. I have never cooked on an electric smoker, but it was true on my bullet charcoal smoker and is true on my Big Green Egg. I have heard that electric smokers don't run as hot as charcoal smokers, so I can't guarantee that it would be true on an electric. Try it and see how close the finishing time is for the point and the flat, if they are far apart the next time try it reversed and stick with the one that has both point and the flat finishing closest together.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here