Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black spots on brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black spots on brisket

Hey - Just signed up for forum. I got a 14lb brisket for the superbowl this weekend. Its USDA Choice from my local butcher. I pulled out of cryo and noticed these black spots on it. The meat smelled fine. I cut them off while I was trimming. Can anyone fill me in on what this is and if I should be concerned? See attached photos. I separated the point from flat prior to cooking was my first time trying it this way. Its all rubbed down and ready to go but I was still a bit skeptical from those marks. I plan on calling my butcher when they open today. - Thanks.
    Attached Files

I'm not a butcher but I don't see anything to be concerned about. When I used to raise my own beef and hogs I can tell you the animals can be hell to load and could get some light cuts and scrapes on them. If your butcher does his own processing they have to be inspected before they are and can not have anything wrong with them or they will be rejected

Comment

I don't know what causes the spots (I saw a few similar spots on my last brisket) but since the meat smelled ok you should be good to go. Let us know what your butcher says. We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. Thanks!

Comment

I sent pictures to butcher he said it looks fine. Wanted to make sure it wasn't something foreign he said. Said could be grease from the rails when it runs down the belt to get sealed. Said it is all food safe product used. I told him as soon as I sliced the top of the dark mark off it was clean white fat underneath. He also said combined with fact it smelt fine he wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

Looks like a little old hemorrhage spots (bruising) in the fat to me. No big deal. Enjoy!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here