Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making a run on smoked chuck. ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCountofQ View Post
    And they are on. 220 now, but bumping her up slowly. In the words of Doc Squat... "I gotta really good feeling about this one!!!".
    I think you'll be fine time-wise. Wrapping is important. This cook needs juices to pour back over the meat. Once you're done you'll see what I mean.

Are you making sammies? Sauteed onions and peppers with provolone is amazing with smoked chuckies.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
      TheCountofQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. Pulled beef. Should be plenty left over, so who knows where it will end up. Tacos, maybe beans, chili, ravioli? ... many ideas. Most will probably go to the kids though. The bribe for a visit, you know.

Stepping her up 5° at a time, to level off at 270°. The smell of this rub is heaven.

My favourite part of smoked chuck is the versatility. Chuck and cheese, chuck and chilli (chuck and chilli and cheese), pasta, tacos, nachos, as cheese steaks, the skies the limit...

Comment

I package the leftovers (I usually smoke 4-5 chuckies at the same time) in 1 lb portions, and vacuum seal them. Easy peasy that way to heat back up and use in all of those things that Michael Brinton mentioned and more. I use it in almost any ground beef dish, replacing the ground beef with pulled chuckie.

Kathryn

Comment

I hate to report this, but I just wrapped, and I can already tell that this one is a total failure. Even the one that was lightly rubbed is overpowering, and frankly nasty. It just gets worse from there....

I would say that these don't have that intense beef, and just can't hold up to what I have always used as a modified BBBR w Cumin. Definitely can't cut thru that, with the jap mustard slather!!!

I can't serve this. I wouldn't eat it. It's a flavor thing, overpowering rub. And I thought I took it easy on the stuff on two of 'em.

I'm not knocking anyone's advice on the cooking method. I can tell these are going to jiggle like Beyoncé's butt. Thanks for all of that guys/gals. I'll just have to find something less powerful for the rub, I think.

The mustard slather has a MUCH MORE pronounced bark!! Kind of hanging/growing off of it, much like the crust on a good chicken fry!! Just an FYI.

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          With the 4th paragraph and the photos below, I'm laughing like crazy. OK - Which one is Beyonce, J-Lo and Milie Cyrus?

• TheCountofQ
          TheCountofQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I would have to say Miley is the one in the middle....hahaha.
          Last edited by TheCountofQ; February 4, 2017, 02:03 PM.

They jumped up to 209 almost immediately after wrapping. One went to 230!! I've still got a lot to learn.... Click image for larger version

Name:	20170204_113839.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	271065

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you let them rest and did they eventually pull? When/if you did, was the rub toned down a bit? Asking because as I mentioned - I'm thinking of doing a chuck soon - have done them in an oven but not on the BBQ.

Yes, toned down some after cooling. Still nasty though. I didn't go thru the FC rest, no. I knew it was trash.

Scratching my head on a lot of things this time?

I cooked in a very humid environment. Water dropped from the lid to the meat. Maybe soot from there? Maybe my probes need calibrating?

Did Stubbs change something. I usually get closer to 24 hours per bag. Just about a 3rd of that time with this one. I know it's cold out, but it's not my first cold cook with it either.

Maybe too much smoke. I used more than usual.

Anyway, I'll chalk it up as another lesson why to practice recipes before committing to family function cooks.
        Last edited by TheCountofQ; February 4, 2017, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Maybe the probe was poking out? 230 IT seems really high. Was the strong flavor all rub? Or too much smoke?
          Last edited by Michael Brinton; February 4, 2017, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Wow that sucks. I wish I could give you some advice as to what happened but it sounds like you had all your bases covered. Huh. If I think of anything I'll do another post.

Comment

What do you mean by "nasty"? Bitter? Too spicy? Funky smell/taste? Too smokey?

Frankly, I'd have a hard time eating anything where water dripped from the smoker lid onto the meat. Some PBC folks report that that's happened to them, but I've never experienced it. That's got to taste like creosote, in a bad way, that is.

Smoked chuck is one of the best things to come off a smoker, but if you don't like it due to the spice, smokiness, etc., there are plenty of other things out there to cook. Sorry this didn't turn out well for you.

Kathryn

Comment

Damn!! That sucks. We have all been there before.

The water dripping onto the meat from the lid would probably make it distasteful, but I don't think that is your main problem. I think you should try a different rub and don't apply an agent to the surface of the meat to help the rub adhere. (I have never found that to be helpful anyway.) Next time, go lighter on the rub. You can still use a complex rub, just use less of it. Chuckles are not as fatty and beefy as briskets. I don't think they can take the heavy rubs or one that is heavily applied. I would aim for a complex rub but take it easy on the application, especially if it is particularly salty. This is why I love Oak Ridge BBQ, Black Ops. To me, its the best beef rub out there. And the ingredients are always fresh, right out of the bag.

Give it another try. This is a process. Try give it another try and you'll be surprised with how well you can do on the second time around.

Comment

TheCountofQ next time try just using the salt & pepper technique. To be honest I like S&P only on beef but I also like to change it up every now and then.

Comment

tasted burnt, but spicy, with not enough salt. I would probably say it tasted sour, rather than bitter. Bitter I associate with the taste of aspirin. Funky smell and taste is a good description.

The hasty bake is always very humid with a water pan on the heat deflector. So much that water drips down a leg and runs down the side walk a ways. Many of us experience this, and it is not from spillage or boil over. I think setting a barbell weight on the lid caused a very slight bow downwards towards the center, causing the low spot where the drops fell. I think this contributed some.

Also used more wood chunks (split into thirds) than usual. It smelled oh so sweet, but never thinned out really, as it usually does. Not black. White, not the thin blue. My guess is it was the combo of over smoking, and the sooty water contamination.

I will try it again. I'm sure I'm not opposed to the cut itself. It did seem greasy though, rather than what I would call moist.

As far as the rub, I've used the same on short ribs with exceptional results. And I did use less on these than I typically do on shorties. It's got to be the extra white smoke and water drop thing. I usually don't at the meat till the smoke is much thinner than it was this morning.

I'll search locally for that rub you mentioned, then on line. Even though I like my personalized BBBR, it's nice to have a variety of flavors so everything doesn't taste the same.

It's the first time I've smoked in a long time. (Life has just been strange for the last year, and I've neglected practicing the art). It felt good to get back to it, even if the results were less than good.

The only other thing, I don't think was related, is i don't think these PBC cooks are using added humidity. I think I went thru something like 2+ gallons of water on this cook. I think it may have delayed bark formation, and might ought to hold off adding, but then again, if kinda depend on it to smooth out temp spikes and such.

Thanks again everyone. I'll give it another go soon.

Comment

Did you mention using Stubbs charcoal? FWIW, occasionally others have reported here bad-tasting cooks with that charcoal brand.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here