Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pit Beef.....Need advice please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TFC
    replied
    Thanks for the feedback fellas........after much waffling.....the Prime Top Sirloin is getting the nod. It's all trimmed up and still sleeping in the fridge after applying the dry brine. Lots of cooking today with guests arriving in 4 hours..... will try to take/post pics.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    TFC
    Easy Peasy...
    Cook both, then y'll have a baseline fer future cooks.
    Freeze half of each for lovely leftovers!
    Jus' sayin'!!! ;-)
    Ya already got th' smoke rollin', so wth??!!

Leave a comment:

• Steve B
    replied
    Sure just confuse the poor guy. Seriously though Having not done one before I would do as Meathead says in most of his recipes. Do exactly the way the recipe calls for the first time than you can adjust to your liking on your next cook. Good luck with your cook and if possible show us some pics.

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    replied
    I'm pretty sure I've always used Choice Top Round and had great outcomes. BUt, since you have the Prime sirloin, I'd go for it with that. It's the "Big Game" after all.

Leave a comment:

• lschweig
    replied
    As you have guests I would do the prime. Although GadjetGriller does have a point.

Leave a comment:

• GadjetGriller
    replied
    Depends on how much you like your guests! Are they Prime time kinda people or or they just choice?? Really if you have not done one yet I would do the Choice 1st (consider it Practice) so you better know what to expect when the Prime cut is cooked.

Leave a comment:

• TFC
    started a topic Pit Beef.....Need advice please.

Pit Beef.....Need advice please.

Hi Folks -

I decided (among other items) to attempt my first Baltimore Pit Beef for Super Bowl Sunday (oops I mean The Big Game...I know the NFL is crazy about their trademarks LOL). I plan on following Meathead's recipe but need your help. I went to the store today to get a top round roast and got what looks like a very nice one. My next stop was Costco to pick up some other supplies and while i was there, i happened to see a Prime Grade Top Sirloin Roast at what I thought was a ridiculously low price so I decided to buy it.

Both roasts are about the same size and will work for the number of guests I have. I will cook one and freeze one. Never having done one of these before, the question is.......Which one should i cook...Top Round (Choice) or the Top Sirloin (Prime)???

Appreciate any and all feedback!

Thanks in advance,
    Tom

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here