Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket from London (in winter)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good to me, great smoke ring too.

The thing with sourcing brisket in the UK is that the cattle are raised differently over here. They're nearly all grass fed most of the year maybe only being grain fed for a few weeks before being sent to salughter, plus we use breeds that have been bred to produce very lean meat. Best advice I can give is find a good butcher, it might take a while, and ask them if they can source you a whole brisket (you might have to show them an example of how American's cut brisket) from a Dexter of Angus cow since they're more likely to have a greater amount of marbling that's ideal for low n slow.
    Last edited by Paul299; February 1, 2017, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Anonymouslemming

if you ever make your way out to Suffolk there is a great butcher outside of Mildenhall.
      10 High Street, Bury St Edmunds IP28 7EQ

This is where we got all our big beef products. family has been supplying the region for generations. It may have changed a bit since I was last there, 2008- 2011, but when I was there this was the only place for me.

-Cheers

Comment

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        I once Visited Mindenhal to see a cousin and her husband who were stationed at the USAF Base! I bought A Toy Mamod Steam Tractor for My Son, Shawn at a Shop in the Town Square! He was born in 1976, I was there in 1978! It Sits Unran on the Fireplace?
        From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND USA, Dan

• Jeff_Carley
        Jeff_Carley commented
        Editing a comment
        small world

• Anonymouslemming
        Anonymouslemming commented
        Editing a comment
        We have a Ginger Pig nearby now so I'm going to try there. We very seldom make it out into he country

Awesome smoke ring, that's one pretty brisket!

Comment

RSA! Have you had monkey gland steak?

Comment

@Anonymousiemming, You and Your Brisket are a Credit to Weber Kettle Users World Wide! Leaving the Vents Open is just a minor error! I and
          MyOldTimers leave the Lid Partially Open? Fortunately The Cook was just getting Started and My FireBoard alerted Me!
          Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND USA, Dan

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	106
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	270238Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	105
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	270237Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	270239Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	270240

Comment

Nice looking brisket!

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
            RSA! Have you had monkey gland steak?
            I have; many many times. That and peppercorn sauce!

Comment

• DaveJH
              DaveJH commented
              Editing a comment
              Turner&George in St John Street ,shop or internet next day delivery to Greater London. Good website.

Anonymouslemming Great looking Brisket !! Love that smoke ring..

Comment

I have never seen such a profoundly developed smoke ring. It's kinda pretty!

Comment

I used to live next door to one of London's best butchers: HG Walter (meat purveyor for many multiple-Michelin-starred restaurants in the city). They provide incredible customer service and even their "basic" meat is fantastic, but as you can imagine they're not cheap.

How not cheap, you ask? Well, the listed price on their website for smaller cuts of brisket (1-2 kg) is £12.90 per kg, which currently runs at just above $7/lb. No idea how well marbled it is, but I doubt it'd be graded much above a Select in the States...

(I can hear Jerod Broussard screaming from over here in Italy...)

You may be able to negotiate down the price for a whole packer, though. And anyway it's worth a trip just to window-shop. It's literally less than fifty steps from Barons Ct tube, so fairly central.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We got some gooooooooood Choice at Wal-Mart for $1.96/lb and just a few days ago they were $1.76/lb.

• dtassinari
                  dtassinari commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Now you're just rubbing it in...

One of these days I'll write a post on the trials and tribulations I'm going through to find decent beef short ribs here in Italy, never mind brisket!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here