Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Clod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Clod?

Has anyone ever done a whole beef clod? If so any tips?

I saw them on sale at my local wholesale outlet and looked them up, they are just a beef shoulder but are sold big, usually 20+ lbs. They are fantastic value, so I was thinking of doing one for Super Bowl.

Good video:

Write up and recipe:
    Barbecuers seem to give pork shoulder (Boston butt) all the love, ignoring its beef counterpart, shoulder clod. That’s a shame, because it’s easy to cook.

They make the best chopped beef you will ever put in your mouth. I usually cut them in half to reduce the cooking time. Other than that, I treat it the same as a brisket.

Comment

I'd love to do one if I could fit that sucker in one of my pits.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Jerod Broussard - put two pits together.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        RonB That actually crossed my mind. Kinda morph two Pit Barrels together.... Wonder how much local welder would charge.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Just keep in mind, you'll need to cook a lot of clods to get your investment back! ;-)

Aw, too bad!

I have cooked a half. I think you should plan on 20 hours at 225. It is the equivalent of the Boston Butt on a cow. I would cook it to probe tender. It is some of finest eating around. It is the darling of central Texas BBQ often seasoned with just salt, black pepper and cayenne. You can't find it too many other places.

Comment

i imagine this makes pulled beef, right?

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          You can pull it, but I would say it is served more like the point on a brisket. Those clods go from 25 to 35 pounds. That's a lot of beef for backyard BBQ.

• DeusDingo
          DeusDingo commented
          Editing a comment
          i assume there is a big ol' bone in there, right?

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          The half I cooked didn't have a bone, but I assume the bone would be the rough equivalent of the Boston Butt bone, not the Picnic.

DeusDingo Apparently a small part of it is great for pulling (I think this is part of what you normally buy as chuck roast) and the rest is best sliced.

This video explains it well at the 11:30 mark as he breaks down his clod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erWHkLEq9Z0

Comment

• DeusDingo
          DeusDingo commented
          Editing a comment
          i'll have to watch that when i go home. youtube not allowed at work

So I picked up a 14.5 lb clod for super bowl Sunday. There is very little fat to trim on this cut, so the yield per $ is going to be huge. I'll post pics of the beast as it progresses over the next 48 hours. I'm thinking a nice bold red wine and a crisp pilsner style beer will go well with beef sliders. Horseradish and mustard on the sangers too.

Comment

I've been doing quite a few clods in the past few weeks. I smoke them whole, afraid I'll lose something if split in half. Weighs from 20-35 pounds black angus.

The results is always spectacular. it may trump the brisket just because how easy going it is to smoke. I believe there's around 7-9 different cut in a whole piece, so when it all falls apart its a scene to behold!

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
            LA Pork Butt commented
            Editing a comment
            I think it trumps Brisket because of the rich chuck taste. Based on what I have had in central Texas, the Clod is more like the point on the brisket.

The clod is on the kettle. Shooting to be done around noon for a four hour rest before serving at 4. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	299.4 KB
ID:	271306Click image for larger version

Views:	241
Size:	319.7 KB
ID:	271307

Comment

Looking forward to seeing the results!

Comment

Beef clod coming along nicely in the snow.-17 C/ 1.4 F here today on the balmy Canadian prairie.

The beef pic is after 12 hours on the smoke when I transferred it to the oven as my coals ran out and I've had enough Arctic Qing for today! Click image for larger version

Views:	207
Size:	390.0 KB
ID:	271524Click image for larger version

Views:	212
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	271523

Comment

Nice cook, what did you end up making out of it, pics?

Comment

So here are the final pics, clods are amazing. I can't believe I've been into BBQ for over three years now and had never heard of a clod until last week. A clod is made up of many muscle groups and a small part of this cut makes an excellent pulled/crumbled type of beef (similar to a brisket point) while the main roast slices beautifully with an extra beefy flavour. Looking forward to sandwiches this week, if you see a clod it's worth the time, 17 hours plus a three hour hold. BBBR and cherry wood in the kettle. Click image for larger version

Views:	217
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	271793Click image for larger version

Views:	214
Size:	346.6 KB
ID:	271794Click image for larger version

Views:	210
Size:	381.8 KB
ID:	271795

Comment

It passes the photo test. Let us know if it passes the taste test. Many of us might want to give it a try.

Comment

Nice looking cook!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here