Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick and Easy beef recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick and Easy beef recipe?

Hey all,

I'm looking at doing some slow(ish) n low(adjacent) cooking this Sunday for the big game. I'd love to do something like brisket, but I'm not sure if I'll have that kind of time. I have a classic Weber kettle with a Slow n Sear, lump charcoal, appropriate wood chunks, and 6-10 hours of active cooking times. I'm not cooking for many people, so if a small brisket cook is feasible I'd go for that.

Open to ideas, but I am still relatively new to this.

Thanks!
    Last edited by mell0w; January 30, 2017, 11:22 PM.

You could turn the heat up on a nice chuck roast or two. Get that dude (or them dudes) to about 207 internal. Let 'em rest in a 200 degree oven for a couple hours, then pull 'em like a pork shoulder. AWESOMENESS!!!

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      We answered identically at the same time!

6-10 hours could be short for a brisket. It's too long for a tri-tip. So if it's a slow cooked beef you are wanting to do in that time frame, a chuck roast is likely your best bet. I'm not a chuck roast pro. Some recent posts from fuzzydaddy, Spinaker and Mr. Bones indicate that they are doing really good things with them and may chime in to give you advice.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      And the whole time I thought I was racing against time.

Beef ribs if you can find some meaty ones. The nice thing about beef ribs is there are multiple times you can pull them out - Around 170, they have a little chew, very juicy, good flavor, get to around 190 (my preference), and they're really tender with pockets of that gelatinous goodness that you find in a good brisket point. This flexibility let's you pull some early and start eating, and leave the others to keep on cooking.

The other option, which might cook too fast for what you're looking for, is a prime rib if budget allows. Get a nice choice or prime, prime rib, I think it's one of the best things you can throw in a smoker.

Comment

How about a pork butt and a chuckie or two? That would give your guests a choice. And the leftovers go great in chili or tacos, or just about anything that you can think of.

Check out this topic for ideas ofr leftovers.

Comment

Boston Butt is forgiving, so you should be able to get one done at 300 somewhere between 6 and 10 hours. If the stall becomes a problem you can wrap it. I like to finish 2 hours before serving and wrap it in a faux cambro.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll go the chuck roast route and let you know how it turns out.

Comment

I would go with the Pork Shoulder. They are easy to cook, forgiving and they taste great. Plus, who doesn't love a pulled pork sandwich? Let us know what questions you might have. Show us what you came up with. Good Luck!

Comment

Interesting, the pork vs beef question. I was doing one night for a 30 person party of old friends. Asked my meat supplier's husband, who has a BBQ joint in SLC how much of each would make sense. His take was about 2/3 pork, 1/3 beef based on his experience of what people like. So I did that, butt and brisket. Never really found out whether he was right, because almost all got eaten. Well, actually the young 'uns were still eating pork afterwards with some kind of habanero BBQ sauce I brought, so maybe the beef won.

The host tried to one-up me with a lobster feast the second night. He did A-OK!

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, Ralph the BBQ guy wasn't from Texas.

I've got beef ribs on the smoker as we speak. WSM 18", single rack, at 250 degrees. Internal temp is 160. How long do you think to get to 190? Games starts in 45 min!!!

Comment

Think about after half time. Sorry.

But you did say already 160, so maybe not quite that bad.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here