Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC brisket timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC brisket timing

Hi, I need some advice on timing. I picked up a PBC a couple of weeks ago as my 60th bday present (toy)! We are hosting a party for 16 people this Sat + I'm wanting to do a brisket in it. I'm guessing a 12lb (5 kg for us Canadians) brisket will feed the group but I'm unsure of the time needed. Planning on slicing it up + serving it with a whole mustard aioli on fresh slider buns. Oh, and our elevation is around 3,300 ft. Thanks. RobbH

Welcome to the Pit ... check out this topic for help with timing: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ts-if-possible

Comment

Rob!! Good to have you. Plan for 10 hours. Most of the briskets I cook in the PBC are done in 7 to 9 hours. 7 hours if you are wrapping at 165 F. Make sure you rest it for at least an hour in a Faux Cambro.

And check this article to out. ^^^^^^^^ best resource

Comment

Welcome robbh

Comment

10 hour cook time is a good estimate running 250-275 trying to get a good bark. As noted above give it a good hold after the cook for a couple hours.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I'll post the results with some pic's! I'm excited about doing a brisket, broke the PBC in with pork back ribs, brie and a fillet of steelhead trout, just loved the flavours!
            Cheers,
            robbh

Comment

A hearty welcome from Illinois.

Do remember that if you are talking about a packer there is a significant weight loss after trimming and then more after cooking. With 16 people as guests I would consider doing 2, but you could be OK dependent upon the typical appetites of your guests. As I used to do a lot of catering I found that the younger the group (especially males) a whole bunch more than average was required.

Better too much than not enough and the leftovers are to die for.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Let's see. 1/2lb cooked meat per very hungry grown male * 16 = 8lbs. Trimmed you'll get something like 36% yield from uncooked. So that's 22lbs of trimmed packer. But it's also really generous portions. So, two packers with an opportunity for lots of leftovers?

Oops, that was Sous-B-Q, so your cooked yield might be a bit higher. Then again, leftovers.

So I said I'd report back on how my first brisket went, and I must say I was pleased. I ended up buying 3 pre trimmed briskets ranging in weight from 3 to 6 lbs. I was concerned about timing and the weather with as it turned out 20 guests coming over at 7 that night, so I thought smaller briskets would give me better certainty on timing.
              I bathed them in olive oil and the PBC game seasoning and hung them in the PBC. It was cold the day I smoked them -16 Celsius (3degrees F). They went into the smoker at 10 am, and by 6 pm were done. I did take them out, marinate them in a beef broth and red wine marinade, tented them and let them finish (that was around 4). They rested for over an hour and when I unwrapped them they had a nice bark, great looking smoke ring, tender, juicy and so flavourful. Sliced them and served them with a whole mustard aioli. I also did marinated artichokes and brie as appetizers in the smoker. A great success, can't wait to try it again. I didn't add any wood to the smoker, just the drippings on charcoal. Thanks for the advice and sorry but I forgot to take pictures.

Comment

Very interesting approach. When you say "marinate" in beef broth and red wine, did you mean you wrapped in foil with those ingredients in the foil?

If so, that combo of red wine and beef broth is a new one on me. How did the wine take the smoke? I would be really curious to hear what that was like.

Thanks for posting. Glad everything turned out well. Stay warm up there.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here