Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short Ribs! - I finally found some.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Ribs! - I finally found some.

None of the local grocery stores have had boneless short ribs when I have looked. However, I was in a different area yestersay and saw a Wegman's. I decided to check out what they had. I didn't see any brisket or tritip, but I did find these choice short ribs. I looked through them and picked out the best looking ones they had. I removed the silver skin and they are dry brining now. I will either smoke them or freeze them in a day or two.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CM7I1115.jpg Views:	1 Size:	495.7 KB ID:	265750

Yes!!! You are going to love eating those beautiful things!

Comment

Jerk ​​

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Atalanta - Yes - I know. I was just yanking his chain.

• Atalanta
        Atalanta commented
        Editing a comment
        RonB - and I was teasing you

• Jeff_Carley
        Jeff_Carley commented
        Editing a comment
        Atalanta you forgot to preface your statement with "What is"...20 points deducted.

Very Nice!!

Comment

Look nice.

I can't find 'em here in Vegas at the grocery stores either. Have to go to a custom butcher shop to get them. $$$

Comment

Look Great! Don't delay, cook today!

Comment

Thanx all for the comments. I'm cookin' 'em tomorrow. I think smoked beef goes well with beer and football.

Comment

Safeway had a sale on short ribs a few weeks ago. Of course, they were selling them cut into small pieces--flanken and/or English cut. I asked the butcher if there were any whole plates--he checked and yep, they had 'em. I got an entire eight bone plate duo for $3-something a pound. I thought about arguing for a cheaper price since there was no cutting and repackaging involved, but I decided to leave well enough alone. Watch your local megamart weekly sales and check with the butcher when any short rib cut goes on sale.

Comment

Willy - none of the grocerys around here have butchers any more. The closest grocery doesn't even grind their own beef now. Oh well, Publix is taking over a local chain, but they will not open near me for 6 to 12 months. I hope they are better than what they are replacing.

Comment

• edible hen
                  edible hen commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I get plate ribs from Publix. The butcher sells them to me in the cryovac for .25 less a lb if they have them in stock, and .50 less a pound if i order them a week in advance.

Good policy, both for Publix profit and your loyalty.

Comment

did you end up smoking them? I would love to see some photos!

Comment

Jeff_Carley - Yes I did cook them, and the photos are in reply # 1421 here.

Comment

• Jeff_Carley
                      Jeff_Carley commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Just saw that post. Great job. looked amazing

how much effect will the lack of a bone have on cook time I wonder? I usually do beef ribs or pork ribs 5 hrs @225 or 250 and always seems to be perfect. So now no bones, will that 5 hr cook time shrink to 4? I will check temp and probe test and report back, likely after the big dance tomorrow night.

Comment

• Spinaker
                      Spinaker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      One thing is for sure, they will cook more evenly.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here