Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Question

I'm smoking an 8 lb UDSA Choice brisket flat tomorrow. I'll be using Meathead's recipe: injecting with beef broth, dry brining with kosher salt, and using Big Bad Beef Rub and Texas Mop Sauce.

I don't want the finished product to be too salty. So my question is this: since I'm dry brining with kosher salt (0.5 tsp per lb), what kind of beef broth should I use? The "50% reduced sodium" version, or the "no salt added" version?

Also, should I dry brine before injecting, or vice versa?

Thank You.
    Last edited by TBoneJack; January 13, 2017, 09:37 AM.

I'd you are worried about too much salt I would use the saltless version. As to injection I really don't know if it makes a difference, but I probably would inject just before I put it on the smoker.

Comment

I wouldn't bother injecting if you are using that amount of salt. Brisket already has plenty beef flavor.

Comment

I would skip the injection. I don't find that it helps that much. Especially with the low sodium options. Injections solutions are usually a mixture of salts and sometimes phosphates. These really help the meat hold on to moisture.

However, if your injecting low-sodium options your really just injecting water into the meat. This does very little as far as moisture goes. I have found that most of the time, it just ends up running all over the counter and causes a huge mess.

Comment

I agree with the others, skip the injection. But if you're doing both, do the dry brine first (the night before), then inject a little before putting it on the smoker.

Comment

I would skip the injection as well. I've done it with and without, and can't tell a whole lot of difference either way. I think brining will be more of a factor. If you do inject, I would go with the no salt added version just to maintain control over how much total salt you are using. The time or 2 I did inject with broth, I used the no salt added and dissolved my own salt into it.

Comment

You don't say whether you're going to crutch or not. If you are going to foil, that's where to use the unsalted broth. Dry brining tops injection, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by CandySueQ View Post
                You don't say whether you're going to crutch or not. If you are going to foil, that's where to use the unsalted broth. Dry brining tops injection, in my opinion.
                Yes CS, I'm going to crutch. Thanks for your reply.

And thanks for all the replies. I'll skip the injection, and dry brine instead.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here