Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideas on how to cook nicely marbled FLAP Steak from Costco ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas on how to cook nicely marbled FLAP Steak from Costco ?

My initial was to try it sous vide with some soy and garlic marinade for 2 hours and then sear it on the charcoal chimney.
    But I am leaning more towards reverse sear on the Traeger.

Thoughts or suggestions are welcomed.
    Thanks

Sorry, no experience. If it was me, I'd start with a straight sear. Oil it, pepper it. Salt at the table to taste. No rest. Hot as hell. Then slow move to reverse sear if it's too rare. This is based on my guess that it's a lean cut.

Comment

Never tried one myself but, from the looks of it, it's a thin lean steak that needs to grilled hot and fast (possibly after marinating). Personally, I'd forget about SV and reverse searing and just start heating the grill.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        As would I. It tends to be tough.

I love their flap steak. Sous vide to 128-ish, followed by a quick sear, would likely be fine, but I haven't done that yet. I have just slapped it on a hot grill for a minute-ish a side (maybe a bit more) and it was great--a lot like skirt steak.

Comment

I have used it for carne asada. I sliced it thin, marinated it and cooked it fast over high heat. Then I put it in tortillas. To find one that was nicely marbled would make me second think it and treat it like a butcher's cut/hanger steak. I have sous vide'd that but prefer smoking to 133 and then searing. I'm going to look for it at my Costco, now.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here