Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Low Carb) Smoked Meatloaf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Low Carb) Smoked Meatloaf

Figured everyone else was doing meatloaf, I had to give it a try. But no bread crumbs or sugary BBQ sauce for me.

First, the recipe:

1/3 c diced onion
    3 cloves garlic diced
    1/4 c diced red pepper
    1/2 c shredded sharp cheddar
    1 tsp thyme
    1 tsp sage
    1/2 tsp pepper
    2 tsp salt
    2 Tbsp Worcestershire
    2 eggs
    2 lbs 80/20 ground beef

Mixed altogether, put in a loaf pan and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours. Took it out of pan and brushed on approximately 2 Tbsp of homemade low carb BBQ sauce (made, in part, from homemade low carb ketchup that was made with Stevia in the Raw)

[I have been experimenting with posting the photos - each photo posted gets progressively smaller, even if you remove them all and start over again. This happens whether I used the upload file or the image upload functions. So I'm going to try posting them as separate posts]

Attached Files

The entire thing, sauce and all, is approximately 21 g of carbs. (So my entire dinner - a couple of slices and mashed cauliflower was under 10 g of carbs)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0879-1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	1.5 KB
ID:	26106

Nope, doesn't matter. This photo first posted at about 3" x 3"
    Attached Files

Comment

Hey Burn, click on that picture tab up to the right. It is left of the A symbol. For your pictures to come up in the thread...like this

Name:	attachment (1).png
Views:	117
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	26111

Comment

• The Burn
        The Burn commented
        Editing a comment
        I've done that many a time. It used to work. I started taking square photos on my iPhone so that they wouldn't be rotated, but the sizes started going wonky. I took these with a different app and then resized them in Adobe Lightroom, thinking that maybe the file sizes were too large. Didn't work either. These were all posted with the upload attachment icon next to the A on the right side

Smoked it on the Weber/Smokenator with Pecan wood at 225 for about 2 hours. When it hit 160, I gave the top and bottom a sear above the Smokenator (since the stevia in the sauce doesn't carmelize).

Name:	IMG_0878.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	703 Bytes
ID:	26110

Would you believe there's actually a photo posted in the line above this one?!

Anyway, it came out appropriately moist and had a nice smoky flavor and even had a bit of a smoke ring

Comment

Great... I am ususally low carb, except a fully decked out sweet potato once in a while.... this look great!

Comment

Hope you don't mind I snag this recipe. My wife was diagnosed type 2 diabetic last year so we're always looking for low carb alternatives. This will be my first meat loaf I do on my pbc. Now, how to hang it....😉

Comment

Jeff, please do. That's what we're all here for. I'm Type 2 also and I'm basically on an Atkins-type diet. Below are my recipes for a low-carb ketchup and low carb BBQ sauce. As an aside, I've also used this ketchup to make MH's Glop and it's great on burgers (which I have without the bun, of course). Let me know how it turns out.

Ketchup (2 net grams of carbs per Tbsp):

6 oz tomato paste
            2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
            1/3 cup water
            1/3 cup Stevia in the Raw (get the bag, not the individual packets)
            2 Tbsp dried minced onions
            2 cloves garlic - diced, pressed or paste
            1 tsp salt
            1/8 tsp ground allspice
            1/8 tsp ground cloves
            1/8 tsp pepper

Mix in a blender until onion disappears.

KC-Style BBQ Sauce (3 net grams of carbs per Tbsp)

1 cup of the above ketchup
            1/3 cup Stevia in the Raw
            1/4 cup diced onion
            2 Tbsp butter
            1 clove garlic - diced, pressed or paste
            2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
            1 Tbsp lemon juice
            1 Tbsp Blackstrap molasses (this is the lowest carb form of molasses)
            1 Tbsp ancho chile powder
            1 Tbsp white vinegar
            1 tsp pepper
            1/4 tsp salt

Combine and stir all in a saucepan over low heat until the butter melts. Then let simmer for 5-10 minutes.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here