Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Beef Short Ribs Subject to "The Stall"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Beef Short Ribs Subject to "The Stall"?

I smoked some very nice beef short ribs yesterday in my WSM 18.5". They were cut into individual rib sections, with bone attached underneath. Freshly wrapped from Publix. This was my first time smoking beef ribs.

I followed Meathead's recipe, complete with dry brining overnight with kosher salt. About an hour before cooking, I applied freshly made Big Bad Beef Rub. I used oak wood for smoke. I smoked at 230 degrees as verified by a Thermoworks ThermaQ grate probe.

The ribs turned out GREAT. Tender, juicy, and flavorful. I'll be cooking a lot more of them in the future.

But while the smaller ones were done with 203 degree IT in 7-8 hours (as verified by a Therma Pen MK4), the larger ones went for about 10 hours before their IT was 203 degrees, and they got "stuck" at about 160 degrees for a while.

I wasn't expecting a "stall" for beef short ribs, especially considering that they were cut into individual sections. But it sure appeared to be a stall of some sort.

But again, this was my first time cooking beef short ribs.

Was what I saw a "stall" of some sort?

Note: I did not wrap (crutch) the ribs like I do brisket.

Edited to add: the larger ribs were about 2" thick.

Yep, they sure are.

Comment

Yeah, I think so. I've had beef ribs stall, or at least the temp began to rise slowly enough that it sure appeared that way. Brisket lollipops I call them!

Comment

Yes, though typically not that long of one. There is a chart https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...the-short-ribs that shows the stall on some slabs I did some time back. One slab didn't stall, from what I see. Raising the cooker temp, only a few degrees, can help a lot, if you are in a hurry.

Comment

More surface area on individual ribs.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
            TheCountofQ commented
            Editing a comment
            ... and an overall better end result.

The stall is an elusive critter highly dependent on surface area, cooking temp, and humidity of the cooking environment. Different cookers may have completely different experiences with stalls on the same meat. A kettle with charcoal, or a stickburner with all logs, might have a nice long stall when a PBC or even an electric might have none or a very short one.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here