Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SnS steak cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SnS steak cook

Going to cook a couple of thick steaks. Read the adrenaline bbq site lighting instructions for this and sounds like a good starting point for sure. They did not say to use water in the pan. I'm not concerned about moisture but wondered about the missing heat sink for the slow part of my cook. Any thoughts?

Personally I don't think that will be an issue, if you're using briquettes they're pretty stable anyway, but let's see what the ABC guys have to say about it.

Comment

No water in the SnS for a steak cook. You won't be low n slow long enough to dry your steak out. And you would still have water left in the reservoir that you would have to boil out in order to get to sear temps. And according to ABC, even the empty reservoir acts as a heat buffer.
      Last edited by Thunder77; January 1, 2017, 06:10 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I do steaks all the time on my SNS and I don't bother with the water in the trough on steak cooks. Some may say different, but I don't usually bother with it. Your not going to have a full load of charcoal in the SNS anyway, for a steak cook.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Yep, not needed. Not using water will not dry your meat out anyhow. The water is helpful to keep a humid cooking environment on long low & slow cooks which helps with smoke adherence, and it is a heat buffer too. Like jgjeske1 said even the empty water res still creates that thermal barrier. Even though we're going slow with the initial phase of reverse sear, it's not long enough (usually an hour-ish) to warrant needing water. You certainly can use it, but it's not needed. Same with a chicken cook.

Comment

I never used water in my WSM when doing chick so it is very good to confirm that for the SnS. I can't believe the temperature control on this kettle with the SnS. I don't see that the WSM will get nearly as much use as it use to.

Comment

• Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                The SnS is beyond the shadow of a doubt the BEST accessory I ever bought for my Weber kettle.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here