Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question Regarding my chuck roast...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Regarding my chuck roast...

Hi everyone and happy new year! So my wife bought this chuck roast for the slow cooker yesterday. It has a sell by date of Jan 1. Today you can see it is marbled with a darker brown color. I thought I have read on here somewhere this is all ok but the wife is worried. Can anyone tell me if I am ok? ( I think so but thought I would double check here.)
    Thanks,
    -Jim
    Attached Files

It looks fine to me. But if you want to play it safe you can trim the brown off. It won't be much.

Comment

Apply smoke an' heat, as required. Enjoy th' delish!
      Yer cleared fer takeoff!
      Roll on 1...

Comment

It is good, enjoy!

Comment

Thanks guys! I thought as much!

-Jim

Comment

Do NOT say "I told you so" to wife.
            Jus' sayin'.

Comment

Very good advice!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Bones View Post
                Do NOT say "I told you so" to wife.
                Jus' sayin'.
                He He yep, I can always count on spot on advice around here!

-Jim

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's right. Cook it, eat it, wait for her compliment, then say "Guess we got lucky, Dollin"!

I figure if its within 5 days of the sell-by date ...

Comment

What we know about the sell by date is that's the date the store can still sell it safely, but as mentioned that doesn't mean "use by". Personally I've been fine going a day or two past, but the flip side is I've also gotten spoiled meat 3 days prior to the "use by" date, nothing is set in stone. If it smells like fresh beef, that's your ticket to the best chances of safety. MANY times I've gotten roasts that have that brown tint, it's only surface and means nothing.

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The nose knows!

Read this:

What is meat and how does cooking alter it? Discover the science of what meat is made of, including water, fat, protein, connective tissue, salt, and other minerals. And find out what happens when meat meets heat.

and

Knowing a good butcher is more important than knowing a good broker. Here are more tips on buying meat in farmer's markets and other butcher shops, understanding meat labels, freezing meat, and thawing meat.

I had an uncle who was a butcher. The special "good" meat he saved for us never looked as good as what he had in the display.

Comment

• Atalanta
                    Atalanta commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Like why the shoemaker's kids go barefoot.

• tbob4
                    tbob4 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Atalanta - wine maker's kids, too!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here