Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to extend cook time for Christmas Eve tenderloin with BGE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to extend cook time for Christmas Eve tenderloin with BGE

I have a $275 7.5 pound Wagyu Beef Tenderloin to cook for Christmas Eve on a Big Green Egg so I don't want to screw it up. My wife informed me that I must go to Christmas Eve mass. I assume that will be gone for nearly 2 hours with drive time. I hope to put the cold tenderloin on the BGE right before I leave for mass and come back two hours later and finish the cook. If I set the BGE up with the BBQ Guru DiGiQ controller to cook at 200 degrees, can I assume that the beef will still be below 120 degrees internal when I get home? Is there a better way to do this?

I figured I would taketh meat up to 120 degrees and then reverse sear it to about 130 for a light medium-rare. Any help would be appreciated.

Theoretically that sounds about right. The trouble is the 2hrs.....sometimes roasts take only 90mins. Tenderloins are not thick, I'm thinking 2hrs might get it higher than you think. I could be wrong but you'd hate to come back and find it at 170 degrees.

Any chance you could just cook it afterward? Reverse searing at 250 wouldn't hurt anything and might save some time for afterward.

Comment

If you're having dinner after mass I would cook the tenderloin when you get home. You could do the initial cook @ 250 and then reverse sear. Dinner might be a little later than you want but to possibly over cook that expensive roast would be on your mind for a long time.
      Good luck and merry Christmas.

Comment

I've never had Waygu beef. I have read somewhere (maybe here) that larger cuts of Waygu cook faster than traditional Prime cuts. I have no idea if that philosophy transfers over to that tenderloin but man I would be scared of leaving it alone. On the other hand, it could make you pray harder at church. I've never known a Christmas Mass to go short. As Steve B said, Merry Christmas.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Not much marbling in loin or tenderloin.

Hmmm... I'm thinking you are going to be ok. If you can get it stable at 180° or 190° It would be even better. Put it on right out of the fridge at about 38°. So you've got 82° to play with. At 200° or under for 2 hours starting at 38° I think you'll be ok.

If it were me... I'd cook it after church even if I had to bake it at 250° or 275° to serve it on time. $275 is a big gamble. What if you get a flat tire or get in a fender bender.😡

Then there's the Sous Vide option.🤔 Put it in the bath water early in the morning at 120° and sear it on your grill right before dinner time.🤠

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          That sounds easiest - maybe wrap with bacon as an alternative or complement.

Thanks for everyone's help. I think I will try cooking it after Church at 275. I will set up the BGE at 275 before I leave and put the meat on as soon as I get home. The Sous Vide is a great option, but the wife nixed that purchase.

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, that's the best plan. Or maybe you can do penance if you get to leave church early...?

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here