Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice needed on reverse sear for a prime rib.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed on reverse sear for a prime rib.

Folks:

I have a Costco prime standing rib roast that I intend to cook following Meathead's advice. I will cook it on a Big Green Egg at 225-250 (using internal and grill level thermometer probes). When it is time to sear I want to move it over to my Weber Genesis gas grill. I normally use grill grates on the gas grill (but could use regular grates or a griddle). Should I leave on the grill grates? Which side up? How hot should they be when I begin the sear?

Any suggestions welcome.

OrrinO

I would definitely want the flat surface of the grill grates. I want the hottest quickest sear I can get. The more I have to rotate the meat the better.

Comment

I am doing the same thing with a 8 pound Wagyu tenderloin on a BGE on Christmas Eve. Its 20 degrees here so the gas grill does not get hot enough. Can I use a cast iron skillet on the stove to get the sear? If so, do I oil just oil the skillet?

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        You certainly can. But try a high temp searing oil, like Avocado oil or Grapeseed oil. It will give you a wonderful sear on the outside. Just heat the pan slowly and allow it to fully come to temp. Maybe 15 mons on the stove. And keep the heat up while searing.

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Welcome Jaybird1! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...troductions-aa Thanks!

Yep, leave the GG's in place. And use the griddle side of the grates. I would get the sear going once the grates have hit 600 F. Then let her fly!

Comment

You might want to do it all on your BGE. I know that Breadhead is a strong proponent of doing so and I'd be willing to bet he'll be along shortly to explain.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Grill extender legs-down for the main cook; legs-up with its grate right over the coals for the sear. (according to a Breadhead post).

BigO ... your BGE is a searing machine if you have it set up correctly. Much better than a hot gasser. I have a large BGE and a 4 burner gasser. I would not consider using my gasser for what you are trying to accomplish.

If I were doing the cook you describe above on my BGE I would do this...

1) load my fire box so the lump is 2" below the top of the fire box.

2) start a small fire dead center in the center of your lump pile and let it burn until you have a steady fire.

3) don't use your plate setter for this cook. Just mount a grate above the felt line. I use Grill Dome's grill extender that I put in legs down and set it on the top of the fire ring. See picture.

4) you can put your meat on as your cooker is warming up. Put a Pit probe next to it, about 2" away from your meat. Insert your meat probe into the center of the thickest part of your meat and close your dome.

5) bake your meat at 225° until you're 15° below your desired serving temperature. I like to serve Prime Rib at 130° so I bake it to 115°.

6) pull your Prime Rib off and put it on a holding plate. Invert your grate so the legs are up, again sitting on top of your fire ring, and your grate is just about 2" from your lump coal. Then blast your lump coal with your BBQ Dragon to get it Warp 10 hot.

7) blot your meat with a paper towel to remove any water that has risen to the surface of your meat. Baste on smoke beef love to the surface of your meat. Canola oil will do if you don't have any beef love.

8) lower your meat to the grate and sear away... rotating the meat about every minute so as to not burn any one area. Use a long handle meat hook to keep rotating the meat. When you have that deep brown mahogany color all over and your IT reads 130° pull it off. You will probably get 2° or 3° of carry over cooking so count on that.

Other suggestions...

1) wrap the bones with aluminum foil through out the cook so the bones don't get black and ugly.

2) don't freak out about not having your plate setter in. When you're cooking at 225° with the dome closed you've made your cooker into an oven and your meat WILL NOT brown any differently than it would in your kitchen oven at 225°.

3) make sure to dry brine it 24 hours before putting it on your cooker.

4) don't worry about the huge flames that are going to envelop your meat while it is searing, just be sure to keep rotating it so it doesn't get black.

5) Enjoy...👍

I don't have pictures of a roast cook done that way but this steak cook is the exact same mechanics.

Attached Files

Comment

That looks like a great method. I do not, however, have the grill set that you have. I only have the standard grill that came with my large BGE, the platesetter, and a set of grill grates. I can buy a grill dome grate extender, but not by Saturday. Any suggestions.

Another, question. Meathead suggests a gravy pan beneath the roast. If, I cook direct, I can't do that. What say you? (I am not dedicated to gravy with this quality of rib, but I was thinking of indirect with a drip pan)

And finally, I can get a damn hot sear with my standard setup and direct heat. Would it cause any problems after the slow cook to set it aside long enough to crank up the heat for the sear with the standard direct setup. The weather is fairly cold here, and I am worried about my gasser not having the guts to do the job.

OrrinO

Comment

Originally posted by BigO View Post
            That looks like a great method. I do not, however, have the grill set that you have. I only have the standard grill that came with my large BGE, the platesetter, and a set of grill grates. I can buy a grill dome grate extender, but not by Saturday. Any suggestions.

Another, question. Meathead suggests a gravy pan beneath the roast. If, I cook direct, I can't do that. What say you? (I am not dedicated to gravy with this quality of rib, but I was thinking of indirect with a drip pan)

And finally, I can get a damn hot sear with my standard setup and direct heat. Would it cause any problems after the slow cook to set it aside long enough to crank up the heat for the sear with the standard direct setup. The weather is fairly cold here, and I am worried about my gasser not having the guts to do the job.

OrrinO
            BigO ... you can definitely use your plate setter, giving you the opportunity to use a drip pan to catch the drippings. You will need to remove it before the searing process though. I have a special tool to make that easy. Then as long as you're going to remove the plate setter... go one step farther and remove your fire ring also.😎 That will allow you to set your standard grate on top of your fire box.👍 Open your bottom vent wide open and get your lump red hot and sear your roast at Warp 10 heat.👍

If you don't have a BBQ Dragon... use your wife's hair dryer. It will get your lump to Warp 10 heat quickly. Where there is a will, there is a way.👍
            Attached Files

Comment

• BigO
              BigO commented
              Editing a comment
              That is a great idea. I think I will go with it.

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Cool... it's more work than my first suggestion but it will accomplish what you want. If you buy the needed accessories to keep it simple, it takes less effort to accomplish the same results. Do you feel MCS kicking in?

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Be aware, the unforseeable technique to this cook is how you load your fire box. If you don't put enough lump in you won't get your meat close enough to your fire. If you put took much lump in, your meat will be to close to the Warp 10 heat and it will burn. 2" blow the top of your fire box is best.

The deed is done. I served nine. It browned perfectly. I followed Meathead's directions, including the cow rub, and several guests declared it the best prime rib they had ever had. Thanks for the suggestions and support.

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Where are the pictures? No pictures it didn't happen.🙈

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here