Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Injecting rib roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Injecting rib roast

I'll be cooking a rib roast Christmas day. Will a rib roast benefit from a mild injection of some sort or best just to leave it alone? This is my first crack at cooking one but it does not seem all that scary. I'll be dry brining possibly about 36 hours in advance (too long?). It will be around 7 lbs and I'll be using Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust. Thanks for any ideas.

Rib roasts are naturally juicy as long as you don't over cook it. I vote don't inject, but be sure to trim, tie and dry brine.

Comment

Man, I wouldn't do anything but what you're doing. In fact that's all I ever do to that cut. If you to change or add a flavor profile do it with an au jus.

Comment

Thanks OneEyedJack and CaptainMike that's 2 votes for "leave it alone".

Comment

Ribber a rib roast is a big, beefy chunk of meat. Tons of intramuscular fat. Amazing flavor profile. Injecting is totally unnecessary here. It won't need additional moisture at all. And you don't want to mess around with the flavor profile. Don't go overboard with the smoke on this one, either. It's really all about the meat.

Separate the bones, if they are still on the roast. Then trim it up nicely. Tie it so it is nicely even. Dry brine 24 hours ahead, then use Mrs. O'Leary's as your rub (or Montreal Steak Seasoning). Cooking is really straight forward. Keep your temps low (225-250) and bring it up to 130 internal temp. Then sear over direct heat to form a nice crust and get the maillard reaction going. Bring it in the house, let everyone oohhh and aahhh over it, then slice and serve!

Use the bones (if you have them) to make a gravy. That's all on Meathead's page about cooking a rib roast. That gravy is killer.

Comment

ecowper thanks for the info. I have read MH's section on this and feel confident with it. I plan on cooking on the WSM and then transferring to the kettle for the sear. I'll be doing the gravy as you mentioned along with garlic mashed potatoes and Secretariat Horseradish Sauce. I thought maybe, just maybe, someone has experimented with an injection and had good results. Thanks a lot for your help!

Comment

Ribber glad I could help. Like I said, I personally wouldn't inject a rib roast. I'm going to do mine on the Hasty-Bake, although I'm tempted to do it on the WSM and then sear on the Hasty-Bake. Did I mention the gravy is totally off the hook?

Comment

Originally posted by ecowper View Post
                Use the bones (if you have them) to make a gravy. That's all on Meathead's page about cooking a rib roast. That gravy is killer.
                Um, this recipe for gravy is a bit... sketchy? Like as in, not filled out enough. What veggies? What alcohol? It reads like I just toss the bones in a pot with the trimmings and any vegetable I want. I'm thinking broccoli would be nice.

The gravy is really a killer beef stock. You won't need the gravy for the meat because it will be soooo juicy, but you will like it, and you will want it for my Garlic Mashed Potatoes. And you should make my Garlic Mashed Potatoes. Yes you really should. There will be plenty leftover gravy that you can use for Italian Beef Sangwitches, Beef on Wick sandwiches, French Dip Sandwiches, for beef soup, or for making rice or couscous. There is no end of uses for a good, rich, homemade beef stock. But if you want to skip the gravy, nobody will complain unless you overcook the meat.

There are three ways to make the gravy. (a) You can make it in advance indoors, (b) you can make it while cooking the roast on the grill, or (c) you can make it in advance indoors and still put it under the roast to catch smokey drippings. All three are excellent.

You can make a fine gravy with just the meaty trimmings from the roast, but it will be better if you add some bones. If you removed the bones from a rib roast use them. If not, ask your butcher for some beef bones. Throw the bones on a grill in indirect heat at about 325°F, or in a smoker, or in the oven until they are brown on the outside. If you have a bandsaw, cut the bones in half lengthwise so more marrow is exposed or have your butcher do it. Get a big pot and put all the bones in it. Add the meaty trimmings with the fat attached. Don't throw all the fat in. Add the veggies. If there is no leftover rub, add some of thyme, rosemary, and garlic powder.

If you are cooking it indoors, turn the pot on low and let it simmer for about 3 hours, lid off. Occasionally skim off any foamy scum. Don't worry about skimming the fat yet. And don't worry about alcohol, most of it boils off. Nobody will get tipsy. Your kids won't be led down the path of degradation.

After about 3 hours strain out the bones and any other large solids and discard them. Then run the stock through a mesh strainer. Taste it and cook it down if it tastes too bland. When it is the right intensity, then you can adjust the seasonings. Refrigerate it. After several hours the fat will rise to the top and form a thick hard layer. Peel it off and discard it. If you have one of those fat separator cups you can use that. Back in the fridge it goes for now. What remains is a fine beef stock.

If you wish, you can put all the gravy ingredients into a pan and put it under the roast while it cooks in order to catch the smoky drippings. Another option is to prepare the gravy in advance indoors, strain it, and then put it in a pan under the roast to catch drippings.

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I meant to follow Meathead's gravy recipe. :-)

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Isn't that it? I copied it from the prime rib roast page.

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep, that's it .... love that gravy

Oh, and a tip from a chef: For au jus, open a can of Campbell's consomme. That's what most restaurants do.

Comment

• OneEyedJack
                  OneEyedJack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Shilling makes a decent powdered mix for au jus, too.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here