Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Brine in a Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Brine in a Cooler

Hello Everyone,

I will be doing a brisket for my extended family on Christmas Eve and I was wanting to do a dry brine. The last time I did a brisket I only brined for an hr or two and had fantastic results. This time I would look to do a brine for 24hrs. the only problem is my fridge is not large enough for me to have the brisket in overnight while I dry brine. I live in central ohio and temps are fairly cold right now. I was thinking of using a coller to dry brine and leave it outside. Has anyone else ever tries this?

I would think that if you can be sure the meat stays below 40F, and the critters don't get to it, you'll be fine. The time is not a problem at all, it's the temperature that would be my concern.

Comment

Your plan will work great if temps stay below 40 F. If it's really cold and the brisket freezes that adds an hour or so to cook time.

Comment

temps on Friday will be between 31 and 38 degrees. so sounds like it should work...... I will also probably wake up at 5 am on Saturday to get the brisket out of the cooler to let it warm up a little before I put it on at 7am

Comment

You should be good to go.

Comment

I don't think you need to warn it - smoke sticks better to cold meat. If you are worried about cooking time, raise the temp a bit.

Comment

If it wasn't broke last time, then why try to fix it. Either way it'll work. It doesn't happen if we don't see pictures.

Comment

Only suggestion I'd make is to leave you cooler outside with the lid open so the interior of the cooler is actually the temp it is outside.

Comment

I agree with Dr Rok. leave the cooler outside to soak in the cold air for hours before you plan on putting the brisket in, i would add ice too if the temps are above freezing. Try to put the brisket in as cold as possible. If you do this you will be fine. I put briskets, ribs and shoulders on ice when I travel. It works just fine. Good luck!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here