Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short ribs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short ribs.

I've been looking for short ribs lately - no hurry, I just thought I'd buy some if I found the right ribs. Anyway, all I see have very little meat on them. If you look at the ribs on this page, (about 3/4 of the way down), they seem to have a layer of meat attached to the bone, then a thin layer of fat, and then a very thick layer of meat. The ones I see locally only have the first layer of meat. If I go to a butcher, what should I be asking for to get them like Paul's ribs?

Short Plate ribs.

Comment

If you can get to Costco, ask he meat dept. for cryovac beef short ribs, two racks per pack. Number 12329. These are prime beef chuck ribs and not the really huge plate ribs (dino bones). I did them last weekend and they came ou great. I did trim some of the top fat off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	311.2 KB
ID:	252410Click image for larger version

Views:	155
Size:	364.5 KB
ID:	252409Click image for larger version

Views:	138
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	252408Click image for larger version

Views:	149
Size:	347.6 KB
ID:	252407

Comment

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        those are some good lookin ribs too!

Beef Plate Ribs

Comment

Beef short ribs...I order my from Kroger's

Comment

Bone-In Beef Short Ribs!!! Well, that's what I've been calling them, and what Sysco calls them.

I am quite fascinated by the whole beef-cuts-by-number system, and getting them all right, so we can be in the club and all.

Jerod Broussard, is the rib we are talking about #123A or #123B? All the one's I have cooked have been just 3 ribs, not more, which seems to rule out 123.

OK, I'll confess it...ever since I watched the Aaron Franklin brisket trim video they taped at the Brisket Camp at Texas A&M, I wanted to memorize all the #'s of the cook Beef cuts so I could be that cool!

Here is a link to, apparently, THE resource for this stuff, http://swansonmeats.com/wp-content/u...yers-Guide.pdf, the Meat Buyers Guide from The North American Institute!!!

Go down to Page 29 (page 59 of the PDF), and therein lies the BEEF SHORT RIBS! Or plate ribs...lol

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Not sure, 123 for sure.

Here's another cool layout of the Beef Plate, Short Plate from the Beef Innovations Group #SuperCoolNames

Comment

As I keep digging, we find more!

130 really looks like the stuff I've been smoking,

Comment

Hmmm. All the whole ones I have ever done have been 4 bone, told they were from the plate (by the butchers).

The first 2 ribs are typically quite meaty, while a hard fat layer runs diagonally across the 3rd and 4th, which should be removed.

A top layer of silver skin, across the top of the meat, begs for removal.

I find cooking whole plates can make for an initially impressive display, but personally... there tends to remain a flabby membrane, under the meat and against the bone, that I find completely unappealing and definitely not appetizing. Frankly, it is gross.

Cooking BSR that have been halved across the bone, especially in single ribs sections, haven't left me with that disgusting piece of stringy, flabby, membrane. The same membrane becomes quite appealing, the ribs themselves become easier to eat, and ends up with more wonderfully bark encrusted, highly flavorful, and tender piece of beef (on a hand held stick/bone) when cooked on that shorter bone. The bone becomes truly something to be gnawed upon and highly desired.

Most of the photos I've seen of BSR here, are the DINO style. But Meathead recommends the truly "short" short ribs, in his article, and after many trials, I must agree with him!!

If only those whole plates weren't so much cheaper than butchered!!

Comment

PaulstheRibList , I'm not sure. The ones I post in this thread were called "chuck" ribs, but the Costco code has 123 in it? If you look at the uncooked one you can see the end bone looked slightly different then the other three. 130 specifies ribs 2-5 specifically and the bones change shape towards the ends of the rib cage, like mine. I believe the plate ribs 123 are cut further back and larger - like yours.

Comment

TheCountofQ I love the detail in your visceral response to the "Cut into individual ribs" vs "cooked as 3 together".

I agree with your assessment that more bark is better!

And, I agree in total that biting into big wads of fat is a #FunKiller. Maybe that's why I work hard at trimming fat on Briskets, so there is not much fat to leave on the cutting table that should not be served.

One detail I'll add to the discussion is that I've cooked the last couple of batches to about 212 degrees, in an effort to get to "like butta" for every rib. What I discovered in the process is how much more I like eating every single molecule on the rib when the fat gets completely rendered at that higher temp, that last 20-30 minutes on the pit at 275+.

My apprentice, Sam, loves the picture of the 3 rib plate cooked together then sliced, like this
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1277.JPG Views:	1 Size:	6.01 MB ID:	252643

Remind you, these are CAB Prime, so they have some fat and marbeling, so I'm happy to get more of that fat rendered out and that rendered-perfection in there! The big plate did not get all the way to 212, it was something over 203, though. It was time to go, and they were obviously cooked well. I'm guessing that Sam ate everything you see here.

What temp are you pulling yours at? What temp are you cooking them at?

These ribs have such marbeling, maybe if I could find some Choice ribs, we could render them a little less and still get the great rendering?

There is still a lot of marbling in the main hunk of meat when I split these ribs apart, and cooked to about 212
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1176.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.24 MB ID:	252644
                  The guests at the Monday Party we did last week, which I have not posted yet, loved these ribs. They could not stop talking about them all week at the training conference we cooked for. When I talked about fat rendering and the incredible mouth feel that terrifically rendered beef fat gives, I got a bunch of enlightened smiles when they discovered that was one of the great things they experienced about eating these monsters.

Comment

Thanx all for the comments. I did post a similar link some time ago that lists the IMPS cuts by number. On the right side of that page is a list of "Meats". You can click on any of the meats and get detailed info similar to what Paul posted. My butcher can order by those numbers, but I'm not always sure his supplier sends the right cut...

Here's a link to short ribs.

Comment

• lschweig
                      lschweig commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I will have to remember this link. Thanks!

I would say more than just cutting into individual ribs, but cross-cutting them in the middle. However a band saw is the tool for this, I think, so I would need the butcher to just take one pass across each plate.

It turns it into a whole different thing, in a way. More like a bite sized (or two) beef Pop-Over. An hour'dourve (spelling), or Dim-sum on a bone. The fat renders quite nicely off that membrane next to the bone. They cook much quicker also.

The saved charts I have are from my own slab cooks, but would run 225 F- 235F avg, until near the very end, where I've ramped 'em up maybe 260ish. Was kind of hard not too, with the hasty-bake spiking temps after opening to check/pull pieces of meat.

That is a beautiful rib you have pictured there!! Very Impressive!!!

I think though, ...my own best experience so far with beef short ribs has been with a Select, cut as described, using BBBR. I've modified the rub and slather since those.

Comment

I'm not sure there is a huge culinary difference between "chuck short ribs" (130) and "plate short ribs" (123) other than Aaron Franklin says to use the plate ribs. They do tend to be a little cheaper, if that makes a big difference. At least around here, if you get 4 rib sections, they are probably chuck ribs (rib 2-5). Plate ribs are usually sold in 3 rib packages. Both cuts are awesome tasting and impressive to serve. Unfortunately most places around me only offer beef ribs already cut into little pieces so when I want whole ones I have to buy them a case at a time. I guess having a few cryo bags of beef ribs in the freezer most of the time isn't really a bad thing...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here