Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Point Really is Free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Point Really is Free

I read on here some time ago that the when buying a whole packer brisket you are getting the point for free. I was able to do a side by side comparison yesterday that proved that theorem to be essentially true. Was at my local Costco (50 miles away) yesterday and was admiring the nice, large selection of prime whole packers being offered at $2.99/lb. Then, next to the packers, I found a lone prime flat. I had not seen a flat only cut offered at this store before. The flat was 4.25 lbs. @ $8.59/lb., so its total price was $36.51. Next to the flat, a 13.5 lb. whole packer could be had for $40.37. Why would anyone buy a flat only to smoke?

I also picked up a small (4.34 lb., 2 ribs) prime rib roast. It will make a delicious Christmas feast for the group of 4 adults I will be celebrating Christmas dinner with. I appreciate the cooking tips offered by Mosca and emil.glatz in the earlier "Christmas Prime Rib" thread.

Complimentary if anything.

Comment

Annnd what's the point of this post?

Comment

When you buy a packer you are getting it in untrimmed. So you Will paying for several pounds of fat. Where as if you buy just the flat it is already cut and trimmed.

Comment

As BloomHybrid said, it's already trimmed, true. You are paying for the butchery and the loss of weight (and all that yummy goodness we use to make burnt ends!) I would rather buy the whole packer and trim it. Some of that fat can be used to grind up with chuck for burgers, meatloaf etc. The best part is I still get my burnt ends! The part about this that sucks is some folks never even get to see a full packer in their local stores. If I were king for a day, every store would have full packers!

Comment

I think a Prime flat for $6.49/lb is a pretty good deal. No trimming needed. Any higher I'll pass.

I've trimmed 20 pound packers down to 10 pounds. To afraid to see what it shrunk down to after smoking.

Comment

• BBQbot
              BBQbot commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree. Usually we take a 20 lb packer down to about 14 lbs, but yes, a lot of fat to trim. We've been running some moisture retention tests on brisket, low and slow, versus hot and fast, and we've seen post cook weights range 25%-high 30%. That 20 lbs of meat starts to get mighty small when done.

• Nate
              Nate commented
              Editing a comment
              BBQbot , I would be curious to see those results and the side by side comparison.

• BBQbot
              BBQbot commented
              Editing a comment
              Nate, Great that someone has interest in some of the tests we ran (we did a lot) . I took a video of one of our brisket temp tests, let me track that down, I'll pull some screens or if I have the time, I'll convert it to a time lapse. I think I took video of all the temp graphs from that test too.

After you cut the fat off and make the comparison, I am not sure the point is free.

Comment

My local Costco only sells the flat, unfortunately. I guess the math for the whole packer didn't work out for them.

Comment

My Costco has choice flats, and prime packers. I got a prime packer for $2.69/lb, but I think the choice flats were going for $5.49/lb.

Comment

Originally posted by badf00d View Post
                  My Costco has choice flats, and prime packers. I got a prime packer for $2.69/lb, but I think the choice flats were going for $5.49/lb.
                  Yeah this is a dirty little trick they play on unsuspecting people. Hey when they fall for it, it just leaves more packers for us!

Comment

• badf00d
                    badf00d commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Haha! Good point. (See what I did there?)

I did another full packer this past weekend. Turned out amazing. Black Ops and the KBQ for the win.

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sounds like your cooking at my place. That is my standard. To the T badf00d

• badf00d
                    badf00d commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This weekend I did a full packer, 3 racks of backribs, and 2 chuck roasts. Along with battling snow, wind and rain for good friends and family.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here