Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today's Edition of Fun Adventures with Meat - Fabricating a Whole Ribeye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's Edition of Fun Adventures with Meat - Fabricating a Whole Ribeye

So, while my ribs were smoking away and after watching a few YouTube videos again, I decided it was time to fabricate (learned that was the proper term today) the whole boneless ribeye I had bought at Costco.

15.7 lbs of Choice at $7.69/lb (saved more than $2/lb on cut steaks).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0855.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	25148 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0856.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	25149

As I was unpackaging it, I discovered it was Black Angus, for what it's worth

Name:	IMG_0857.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	25150 (don't know why the photos are posting so small all of a sudden)

Here's the top

Name:	IMG_0858.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	25151 And the back with the fat cap

Name:	IMG_0859.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	25152

First, I trimmed off, what I learned was called, the rail - mostly hard fat. Set it aside to cut into meat scraps and fat

Name:	IMG_0860.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	25154

Then I removed some of the fat cap. Some leave it on and trim it later (if at all), but I decided to clean it up now

Name:	IMG_0861.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	25157

Then I started slicing into approximately 1" steaks. I don't have a proper butcher's knife and I can't draw a straight line with a ruler, but all-in-all they came out nice, if a little ragged. Here are the first six:

Name:	IMG_0862.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	25158

Then the full mountain of steaks - did a couple of smaller ones for the step-daughter, so I ended up with 17 total. I would have done them thicker, but the womenfolk are light eaters and it's easier to cook them at the same thickness:

Name:	IMG_0863.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	25159

Salted and vacuum-sealed with the FoodSaver (they conveniently fit in the precut quart bags). Three kept out for Sunday dinner and the rest into the freezer

Name:	IMG_0867.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	25160

Then there was the leftover trimmed meat,

Name:	IMG_0864.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	25161 which I ground up in our Blendtec blender (who needs a grinder): Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0872.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	25166

I don't know what ratio of meat to fat it is, but I'll make it into hamburgers for lunch tomorrow all the same (I usually try to find 80-20).

Finally, I trimmed up the fat and cooked it down to make some beef love.

I've got to say, if I can do this, anyone can. If you have room in your freezer and don't mind dropping the $$ ahead of time it's a good way to go.

Attached Files

Awesome post!

Comment

• The Burn
      The Burn commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I just have to figure out what's going on with the pics. I'm taking them square on my iPhoto and then rotating them on my Mac so they end up in the right direction. Yet, they're coming out different sizes and never large.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Burn, maybe when you have it set to take them square it reduces the MP size? You can post wide 16:9 pics, they don't have to be sqaure FWIW.

Awesome! Score!

Comment

WTG TB!

Comment

Great post, I have done this before with pork, will have to try with meat. Great job on your breakdown.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here