Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SnS Meatloaf perfection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds (and looks) so much better than cooking in a loaf pan. Any trouble with the loaf staying together? I'm guessing not if you chill the loaf well before it goes in the pit?

Comment

• JPGators17
      JPGators17 commented
      Editing a comment
      No problem with it falling apart. It may sag through the grates more if you don't chill it first.

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Frog Mats will help out quite a bit I imagine!

• Deaf Arty
      Deaf Arty commented
      Editing a comment
      Ooooh, never thought of that. Thanks, Pit Boss.

This looks so good I'm going to make it tonight!

Comment

That looks delicious, smoked meatloaf is highly underrated.

Comment

JPGators17 , not trying to steal your thunder, rather this is my thanks to you for posting this. I mentioned above I was going to make meatloaf today after seeing your pictures. Basically used your recipe, but tweaked it a little. Used ground breakfast sausage instead of Italian sausage, and add chopped onion and pineapple chunks. Used an off the shelf BBQ rub. I fired up the SnS with more lit coals because I wanted a hotter temp. Probably averaged around 345 cooking temp, and it still took a little over 2 hours to finish. Results were fantastic. Thanks again!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0018.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	452.0 KB
ID:	252241Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	252242

Comment

• josht138
          josht138 commented
          Editing a comment
          Great meatloaf bark!

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Beautimous lookin Loaf, Catmandu !!! What rub you used there, if ya' would, please?

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          Gorgeous and looks delicious about sums it up! Well done!

Great looking loaves!

Comment

I make one similar to this, and everyone here loves it. I do add some finely diced onion and some finely diced sweet peppers to it. I first cook the onions and peppers in a pan until they are soft, then add them to the meat. Also add a bit of bbq sauce to the meat.. Rest is pretty much just like above. I generally make 4 loaves of meatloaf, so about a pound a piece. More bark....
          Going to add the MMD next time I smoke some, that sounds positively outstanding. Thanks JP!

Comment

Deaf Arty here's some BIG burgers I made using the same method. I barely chilled them and there was not much sag through the grate (this pic shows them flipped bottoms up). Even with a heavy loaf I haven't seen much more sag than this.
            Attached Files

Comment

With inspiration from JPGators17, I tried doing meat loaf on my Weber 22 with a SnS. I changed the recipe a bit by adding a 1/2 cup of finely minced onions, 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese, 1 TBS dried oregano and a 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley to the meat mixture, which was 3lbs. 90/10 hamburger, 1lb. sweet Italian sausage removed from casings. For the binder, I soaked 6 slices of bread with 3/4 cup of water for 10 minutes and then added 4 wholes eggs to the bread slurry. I ripped off the bread slurry idea from a meatball recipe that I have used, which makes fine, creamy meatballs as I was trying to avoid the too-dense loaf complaints. Divide the meat mixture into two loaves. Loaves where heavily coated with MHMD. The fire was 1/2 chimney of pre-lit KBB followed with another 1/2 chimney of un-lit KBB with a 2 oz. piece of oak wood. No water in the reservoir and a dry aluminum drip pan under the meat. Bottom vents were at 50% and the top vent at 100% open. I didn't monitor the grill temp and pulled the loaves at 160* IT - ~1.3 hours.

Whole Loaf
              Click image for larger version  Name:	MeatLoafsized.JPG Views:	1 Size:	640.1 KB ID:	277237

Cross Section
              Click image for larger version  Name:	MeatLoafXSectionsized.JPG Views:	1 Size:	643.0 KB ID:	277238

The results were excellent! The sweetness of the rub really does work, however I may try using a more beef-centric rub next time. Chill the loaves well before trying to but them on the grill. The amount of smoke in this cook was just right.
              Last edited by OneEyedJack; February 18, 2017, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Looks great! I'll have to try your bread trick. I seem to put too little in, and wind up with the too dense result. Thanks!

Comment

• Willy
                  Willy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My wife uses panko crumbs that she soaks in milk.

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's pretty much what my wife does, and it comes out good. But we're a little competitive. ;-)

Well, having this thread pop up again has caused me to start thawing some ground pork and hamburger. Monday or Tuesday will be meatloaf day in our house. SMOKED meatloaf, that is.

Comment

JPGators17 Catmandu Wow! That's some nice looking meat loaves! Wondering if you guys ever tried different meat ratios? I've been using 1/2 pork and 1/2 ground beef lately getting a pretty good texture, I noticed you both went with 2/3 beef, 1/3 pork. I used to also mix in some veal, but it lightened up the flavor a bit too much for my tastes. Have you guys tried different ratios, and found the 2/3 and 1/3 are best for you?

Comment

• Catmandu
                    Catmandu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have not tried a different meat ratio. I shamelessly used JPGators17 recipe, and give all credit to him.

• JPGators17
                    JPGators17 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I haven't strayed too far from that ratio, other than 100% ground beef when I didn't have any pork handy. It's all to taste, really, and honestly i think any ratio would be darn good in its own right, all other things being equal.

Meatloaf on the grill!!! Why didn't I ever think of that? Mind blown! Oh the wife is in for a treat now.

Comment

• Black99vette
                    Black99vette commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks. I'll probably have to let it go longer as the wife likes everything cooked well done. In her defense growing up in Mexico causes her not to trust food as much as we do her in the states.

• Willy
                    Willy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It will be well done at 160°F.

• JPGators17
                    JPGators17 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    He probably means well done in the same way my wife does for chicken, where "well done" means "so dry nothing that scares me could have survived" lol

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here