Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Searing in the oven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searing in the oven?

Well it's verrrry cold here (NH) and the forecast is for a crappy weekend. I want to cook a 6lb ribeye roast (with Mrs. O's Cow Crust) in the oven. If I cook at 225 and pull it at 115 internal, can crank up the oven to max (550 I think) and return it to sear. Or would using the broiler and rotating be better.

Welcome rammon3

Comment

That is how Kenji does his prime rib roast, 200F until 115 internal then rest up to an hour, crank oven as high as it will go and blast the roast for 10min to finish the crust.

Wait, I think I'm supposed to say "All Hail JKLA" or something like that. LOL

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        It works!

Welcome from Indiana.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the quick responses. I've been a member for about a year or so, but have not posted anything. I have learned a lot here and from Meathead's book. I figured with all of the free schooling I've gotten from this website the least I could do was buy the book. I'll let you know how it all comes out. Our local supermarket (it has a reasonable meat counter) is having a helluva sale on large end rib roast right now $5.57/lb. Naturally, If I like the Sunday roast, I'll go back and get some for the freezer.

Comment

Personally, I'd probably choose to sear it on all sides real close to the broiler (on high) to minimize the gray band you'll likely get even at 550 ... although, if you've got a convection oven at 550, I might just be tempted to give that a try instead. Either way, it should turn out fine.

Comment

Welcome rammon3. We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel. Thanks!

Comment

Americas Test Kitchen does the sear under the broiler

Comment

Well, the results are in! The roast was a huge success! Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust is now the rub of choice for rib roasts. I didn't use the broiler as was suggested, but I think I will next time as my oven wouldn't maintain the higher temp I wanted. All part of the learning process I guess.

Comment

no picture?

Comment

Yeah!! Send us some pics of this. i love a good prime rib shot!!

Comment

Sorry, It looked and smelled so good, we just dove in LOL. Next time (and there WILL be a next time), I'll post pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel Schmidt View Post
                        That is how Kenji does his prime rib roast, 200F until 115 internal then rest up to an hour, crank oven as high as it will go and blast the roast for 10min to finish the crust.

Wait, I think I'm supposed to say "All Hail JKLA" or something like that. LOL
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	Kenji Kenji.jpg Views:	3 Size:	19.6 KB ID:	252693

I'd use the broiler. It has to do with the mechanics of the oven and the broiler. Oven cycles, so if you set for 500, sometimes it's 450, sometimes it's 550. Not what you want for quick blasting. When the broiler is on, the broiler is ON, the whole way.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                          Potkettleblack commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Should add that electric oven broilers cycle, so you leave the door open. Gas ones do not, so you leave the door closed. #TheMoreYouKnow.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here