Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strip loin roast - how long to dry brine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strip loin roast - how long to dry brine?

Was reading Meatheads
    Secrets Of Cooking Beef Prime Rib Roast, Strip Loin Roast ...

I was not clear on how long I should dry brine. I am doing a 3-1/2 lb NY strip roast. Planned on picking it up on Thursday, and brining it Friday morning for Christmas Eve dinner Saturday night. Also should I leave it uncovered in the fridge to dry out a bit? Thanks in advance for the advise!

The amount of time has more to do with how deep the salt will penetrate. The thicker the cut of meat the longer needed. The longer you give it the deeper it will get.

I tend to leave things uncovered if I can while I dry brine. That all depends on room in the fridge and if it is in danger of coming in contact with other things in the fridge.

Comment

Thanks Nate. Is there an advantage to getting a deeper penetration w/ the salt? I always worry about being too salty

Comment

The amount of time it brines will not change how salty it is. That is controlled by how much salt you put on it. The amount of time only affects how deep it penetrates. The further the salt can work in the better in my opinion.

That is why on thick cuts I may inject with some sort of salt selection. It is kind of a quickie brine that way since I don't always have time to wait.

Comment

my personal rule of thumb is 12 hours for every inch of thickness

Comment

That answers it...always learnin' somthin'! Thanks guys.

Comment

If you are picking it up on Thursday I say start it brining as soon as you get home. I have started to say I need at least 24 hours of dry brining before I do anything.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here