Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Beef Short ribs smoking questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Beef Short ribs smoking questions?

I want to do Beef short Ribs (Cutlets) for the family Christmas party. I have done them in the past and they came out a little dry. I was hoping to try to sous vide then smoke them this time but was wondering if anyone has experience with this. I am looking for the best temp and time for the sous vide step and also on smoke time and temp. Thanks

never tried them SV, I would try wrapping them and braising for last hour or so with a little beef broth, not sure if SV will make them a little too mushy. I think Pit Boss had some good luck doing pastrami with boneless short ribs and I think he did SV for steaming part. Good luck!

Comment

I would recommend dry brining them overnight in your SV bag in the fridge. Then the next day SV them to 170° for 6 or 8 hours. Cold shock them in ice water (in the bag) and put them in the fridge. Then that day or the next day take them out of the bag, blot them dry, put on some beef love or canola oil and apply your rub. Put them in your smoker at 225° and cook them until you get a good bark, about 5 hours roughly. Test them with your temp probe. When they're soft like buttah, about 195°/200°, they're done.

Taking them to 170° in the hot tub leaves you 25° to 30° additional cooking time in the smoker to add the smoke flavor and enough time to build the bark. Starting them cold out of the fridge gives you more cooking time in the smoker and that will help the smoke flavor adhere to the meat too.

Good luck on your cook... take pictures.

Comment

cknw/fire Although you've been with us for some time we would still love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. Thanks!

Comment

I've done this before with success (post I put on CS: https://www.chefsteps.com/forum/post...unday-dinner); essentially, I took a 4-rib slab of short-ribs, put a layer of molasses-liquid_smoke-liquid_aminos, cooked at 154F for 24 hours, and then took it out, patted dry, added rub-of-choice, and smoked at about 250F for 3h until a nice bark formed... it was heavenly!
          -Nico
          Last edited by fuzzydaddy; December 15, 2016, 03:55 PM.

Comment

nasv I edited your post to remove the ");" from the link. Great looking ribs with awesome bark! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. Thanks!

Comment

Welcome nasv

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

I just did Bone-In Beef Short Ribs for a friends group in Houston on Monday. It was 21 people at a 4 day training event, hosted mostly at my friend's house. I told him, "If you want the absolute home run, then it's the Impressive nature and Incredible flavor of Full Bone-In Beef Short Ribs." He trusted me.

Prime CAB Ribs, BBBR, about 6 hours at 250-275, let them over render to pull about 212 degrees so generous portion of fat in these was well rendered...
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1167.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	378.1 KB
ID:	251105

The words out of this guy's mouth right after he took this bite were, "This just changed my life."

So, I have no SV experience to share, but smoking the individual ribs for 5 or so hours brought incredible joy!

Have fun cooking your ribs!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here