Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Cook tonight!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Cook tonight!

Hello Pit Masters!

Couldn't resist $2.69/lb primer packer at Costco...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2232.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	249455Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2233.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	249456

I was struggling on when to cook it but decided today to cook it tonight! So no long dry brine, but I got it all trimmed and salted/peppered by 2pm today. The trimming is more like a masacre! The 16lb packer ended up 10lbs after the trim...

Name:	IMG_2237.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	249457Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2239.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	249458Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2238.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	249460Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2240.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	249459

I used 2T kosher salt and 2T coarse ground black pepper. Wrapped it and stowed it in the fridge until cook time...

Now:

I'm using my Camp Chef pellet smoker for this cook. I want to cook it tonight, overnight, and sleep through the night! So I'm not sure when to start it. Ideally I'd like to have it wrapped in butcher paper, after the stall or near the end of it, before going to bed. So that probably means put it on 4-5 hours before bed time? Or maybe I shouldn't worry about wrapping and just let 'er cruise all night low and slow?

What do ya'll think?

Also: where's the best place to put a probe in this slab-o-cow?

I promise more pics as the cook progresses tonight!

Stevo

So jealous. Our Costco, no whole briskets, no prime briskets and no $2.69 per lb briskets!

I talked to our Costco manager and he said there isn't enough demand here.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      HawkerXP - ask the manager if he can get you a whole case. If he can, maybe you can get some other pit members to share it with you. If my son doesn't bring one from Austin next visit, that's what I'm going to do.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB that's an idea.

Beautiful Stevo looking forward to the cook.

Comment

Unwrapped until you get ample bark running 250, at least 12 hours....maybe

Put the probe in the thickest part of the flat.

Comment

You're trimming looks pretty good to me. If possible you should not wrap that bad boy until you have a good bark like Jerod Broussard said. Good luck with your cook.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Ok the brisket went on at 8pm. Here it is after dry brine since 2pm:

Name:	IMG_2242.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	249652Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2243.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	249653

I added a water pan to the pellet smoker and I'm running it on "high smoke" setting for 3 hours. That's ~230 degrees and produces more smoke. Then at 11pm, I'll bump it to 250 degrees.

Name:	IMG_2244.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	249650Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2247.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	249651

I'm gonna let 'er roll at 250 degrees until morning, around 7am. I have a probe in the meat and cook chamber, in addition to the pellet smoker chamber probe. But I'm not setting any temp alarms overnight. The promise of the pellet smoker is 'set it n forget it' so that is what I'm gonna do!

More pics to come...

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd set temp alarms.

• GadjetGriller
            GadjetGriller commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep Set temp alarms!! I have (had) a pellet smoker and things can go wrong. Just to be safe!! Set the alarm! Guess you already know if it went ok or not lol Good luck to ya!!

Looks full o' promise, excited to hear if SIFI works as advertised.
          Best of luck, Stevo !!!

Comment

NICE!!! I like how you trimmed it!

In my experience they hit the stall around 4-5hrs, then the stall could be 1 or 3 hrs. I wrap around the 180ish mark, give or take. But if you wrap when you wake up before cambroing (with foil) you could still save some au jus to drizzle back on the meat. I think you're in great shape for plenty of stellar meat tomorrow!

Comment

Thanks! Once I get on a roll cutting away fat, I kinda go crazy. I almost separated the point from the flat! But that hard fat between the two muscles was really thick! Anyway, there was PLENTY of marbling in that brisket. Man, compared to the HEB briskets, this thing was a beauty!

Hey: maybe i should let it ride on the "high smoke" setting all night? IE at around 220 all night vs 250? that might avoid the possibility of overcooking it during the night. Thoughts? I have no set time it needs to be done. This is really a test run...

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                Either way set the temp alarms.

• Stevo
                Stevo commented
                Editing a comment
                what temp alarm? for "its done!"? Like 190 or so?

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                What you did is pretty much exactly how I trim! I agree, high smoke all night. Also, yeah 190 is a good place to start checking. You wont really need 200, but 200-205 shouldn't hurt either. 193, 195, 198, anywhere in there is a good place to hold the temp a while and then begin cambroing.

Thanks Huskee and Jerod Broussard - I'm gonna leave the temp on high smoke, and i have set an IT alarm for >= 186. I'm hoping it doesn't hit that until after 7am!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                Good deal. I skipped mine one time, woke up to a darn near disaster.

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Vacuum pack and air-mail me some samples tomorrow when you start slicing!

I knew I shouldn't have set that IT probe Jerod Broussard. At around 3:30am, I was rudely awakened by it! The IT read 187. And only after ~7:30 hours in the smoker at high smoke.

Not much bark, and the fat cap didn't render much. A quick read probe showed similar readings to my main probe. The meat didn't seem relaxed, so I don't think its ready. The exterior was still moist, so I bumped the temp to 275 to try and get a little more bark. I plan to wrap in paper sometime around 195 or it gets a little bark on it. When it probes tender/relaxes, I'll wrap in paper and FC...

So much for sleeping through the night

Name:	IMG_2248.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	249727Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2250.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	249729

Name:	IMG_2249.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	249728

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                The life of a pitmaster! That's why I don't cook at night (unless I'm awake).

• DWCowles
                DWCowles commented
                Editing a comment
                I love staying up all night smoking meat (Summer time only)

Name:	IMG_2251.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	360.8 KB
ID:	249737 5:30, IT 197. Wrapped it in paper and put it back on... maybe its FC time?

Comment

That looks great!

Comment

Pulled the brisket at ~6:15am. It seemed soft/relaxed in the butcher paper wrap so I think it was ready. Now its resting in a 170 oven, further wrapped in foil. I'll post pics when I try it for breakfast

Comment

Breakfast of champions!

Name:	IMG_2252.JPG
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	249779Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2253.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	249775Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2254.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	249776Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2255.JPG
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	249778Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2257.JPG
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	249777

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here