Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami Rising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami Rising

Trying out David Parrish perfected via Doc Blonder later with the SV before serving. Got the smoke with cherry going right now. Brisket flat cut in half. One piece has Steen's syrup rubbed on it before the rub.

Climbing nicely...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161210_121319.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	248925

I don't want to see the Smoke. I want to see the Pastrami

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sure Jerod Broussard was just trying to show us clean Smoke ... ...

It has to get done before you can see it. Don't worry, it is at 130 internal with a 5 hr stall coming soon.

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      I got plenty of time 😊

170.2 internal. 311 pit temp. I let it get to 340 and while the meat was at 172 I let it come down to 250 and the meat temp dropped to 169.

I'm going to have fun when I finally start graphing. So far this is all I have, the free software

Name:	Screenshot (5).png
Views:	98
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	248987

Comment

What you think of the Smoke?

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
        What you think of the Smoke?
        Figuratively it is built like a tank.

Realistically it is built like a couple bricks that you could use to build a Smoke House.

Much, much easier use from the start compared to the Mavericks, however the Maverick alarm(singular) is nicer to turn off and I have no beef with setting the Maverick alarms. Course if you turn the sound off on the base unit it mutes and the receiver remains active.

Range is the same for me, they both lose signal right where I need it most, next to my bed. Wifi might fix that. Until then it is the couch in the den for over nighters.

Definitely need some bigger holes for the probes. Got 'em through the vents of the 26 right now. Shouldn't be any problem for the Pit Barrel Cooker.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post

Figuratively it is built like a tank.

Realistically it is built like a couple bricks that you could use to build a Smoke House.

Much, much easier use from the start compared to the Mavericks, however the Maverick alarm(singular) is nicer to turn off and I have no beef with setting the Maverick alarms. Course if you turn the sound off on the base unit it mutes and the receiver remains active.

Range is the same for me, they both lose signal right where I need it most, next to my bed. Wifi might fix that. Until then it is the couch in the den for over nighters.

Definitely need some bigger holes for the probes. Got 'em through the vents of the 26 right now. Shouldn't be any problem for the Pit Barrel Cooker.

The quick automatic sync is very nice. Mine seems to go about 10' or so further inside my house, for signal. My Mavs would lose signal on my nightstand, this actually works on my nightstand.

Comment

Naive question, I know but I'll ask anyhow. Huskee and Jerod Broussard, am I going to have to drill holes in my units for the probes when (fingers crossed) I get my Thermo for Christmas? I have two upright (non-insulated) smokers with tight doors. I'm currently using a Traeger thermo that is a tight fit through the door but it works. I broke my cord on an older model. If the answer is yes to the drilling, I am noting by the comments that the probes are a little large in diameter compared to the cord. What do you use to seal the gap between the cord and the extra space?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't seal any holes, yet, maybe. These will be the biggest but even then I don't see that hole with the multiple wires clogging it up making a significant difference. You could always use a grommet. I got rid of mine.

Originally posted by tbob4 View Post
            Naive question, I know but I'll ask anyhow. Huskee and Jerod Broussard, am I going to have to drill holes in my units for the probes when (fingers crossed) I get my Thermo for Christmas? I have two upright (non-insulated) smokers with tight doors. I'm currently using a Traeger thermo that is a tight fit through the door but it works. I broke my cord on an older model. If the answer is yes to the drilling, I am noting by the comments that the probes are a little large in diameter compared to the cord. What do you use to seal the gap between the cord and the extra space?
            I just route mine either through a vent hole (PBC) or under the lid (kettles and Yoder) but very gently. Lots of folks would rather not do the under the lid thing, and I don't blame them. I can't speak for how to seal the larger probe hole of the Smoke probes if you choose to drill. Maybe a little foil wad?

Comment

• Michael Brinton
              Michael Brinton commented
              Editing a comment
              The foil wads will get the job done if the probe hole leaks annoy too much.

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
            I can't speak for how to seal the larger probe hole of the Smoke probes if you choose to drill. Maybe a little foil wad?
            I just seal those drill holes with a nut and bolt of the proper diameter when not in use. When in use, I rarely worry about the space around the cord ... but the foil idea should work fine if it's an issue.

Comment

Hit 190 internal. Double checked with Thermapen, re-positioned probe, back down to 162 internal. Good thing I've been averaging almost 300 all afternoon, Select flats don't play nice.

Comment

The vent was positioned over the left piece. I moved it over the right piece. This was an hour or so before the probe check.

Name:	IMG_20161210_170317.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	249099

Comment

Don't get frustrated and microwave it!!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                    Editing a comment
                    No worries. I still have to cool down and chill then SV them suckers.

The thinner dude was at 200 internal when the thicker dude was at 180 internal. Bark looks good and I still plan to allow it to chill and then reheat it SV style. It just might not need the 4 hours I'll give the other one.

Name:	IMG_20161210_200453.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	249188

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                    Editing a comment
                    I cut a little piece off the edge. It could definitely use some SV time but man does that stuff taste awesome! Internal already dropped down to 180.

• DWCowles
                    DWCowles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looking good Jerod Broussard

For three and a half hours at 195 I need to be back home by 2 o'clock.

Name:	IMG_20161211_110913.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	249392

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here