Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Aged Prime Prime Rib for Xmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Aged Prime Prime Rib for Xmas

So, I found a butcher that selectively purchases prime beef direct from ranchers and does their own dry aging (and smoking too)...Truly excited, there are very few true butchers in the area. So, I've got 6 ribs on order for Xmas. I think he standardly ages for 14 day, but I may ask for something in the 18-21 day age (still pondering this since that might be too intense for my wife's palate).

Last time I did a fresh prime prime rib I used meatheads method (in the oven because it was too cold to maintain a steady grill temperature) and it came out wonderfully. Is there anything I need to consider when using that technique with an dry aged roast? I thinking there is really no difference really other than the trimming. But, I was wondering about dry brining and if that needs to be adjusted for the aged meat since the moisture content will be lower. Also thinking about cooking times, I'm thinking that might be slightly shorter than typical because of the dry aging.

I have no idea what this roast is going to cost me (didn't ask), but I'm going to fill out second mortgage papers this weekend just in case... . So, I'm doing as much planning as I can to ensure I don't do something stupid and ruin an expensive cut of meat. (no, that's never happened before and we won't discuss mother's day of 2013...don't go there.. but the pizza was good)

Thanks!
    Steve

Sounds like you have a great meal heading your way!

I'd dry age 28 days if possible (I know we're short on time). You don't really get the "intense" taste that some folks don't like until you hit 40 or more days.

Salt just like you would a normal roast.

Cow Crust is awesome on prime rib

I'd plan on 3 hours cook time, more if you leave the bones on (I recommend you don't).

Comment

I'm doing an aged prime beef "rib" roast as well for Christmas. I use the quotes because it is boneless, so no actual ribs. I was just reading Thermopen's article on perfect beef roast, and they recommend searing FIRST then cooking in a 200 degree cooker until done. Any thoughts on which ways is best, sear first or reverse sear?

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I prefer the reverse sear based on maybe three done that way.

My two cents is skip the wood smoke on prime rib. That magnificent cut does not need anything besides salt, Mrs O'Leary's Cow Crust and love.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here